I'm up and down like a yoyo

doug

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well It's not dropping out quite so often as before and when it does it doesn't take up to 90 mins to re-synch. Thet's since they switched on to interleaving. Since then I have been progressively evaluating the other options with the Router. G.dmt and now ADSL2+. I'm presuming that all the options are up for grabs. however, the actual down speed does go up and down. Have reached the dizzy heights of 2.4 M but also down to 231 K. Late afternoons and early evenings are the worst. Traffic? When it's low it does make watching video clips like news items a bit like listening to a machine gun - except I've now gone partially deaf. At times I watch it freeze for ages waiting for the clip to download enough to continue playing. I suppose I might have to wait until TT increase capacity, I am waiting for a call back from TT. I had a follow up call from level 2 to see if I had notice any improvement since engineering had a go. Replied along the above lines and was promised a further dose of engineering. Thanks for your efforts over at tb for me. I'm thinking of asking for a guide to the pro's and cons of the router settings. Searching over there and I can find odd notes but, so far, not a comparative table.

Well It's not dropping out quite so often as before and when it does it doesn't take up to 90 mins to re-synch. Thet's since they switched on to interleaving.

Glad to hear that interleaving is better :good:

however, the actual down speed does go up and down. Have reached the dizzy heights of 2.4 M but also down to 231 K. Late afternoons and early evenings are the worst. Traffic? When it's low it does make watching video clips like news items a bit like listening to a machine gun - except I've now gone partially deaf. At times I watch it freeze for ages waiting for the clip to download enough to continue playing.

This sounds like traffic shaping to me as you notice it at peak times :(

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/caps.htm

we may change your Transmission Speed or manage your use of our Broadband Service as we see fit in the circumstances.

My own observations are some pretty poor speeds 24/7

I suppose I might have to wait until TT increase capacity

As it is a LLU line that your using, Talk Talk can't blame BT for lack of capacity as they are in charge of it now.

Well I thing that "engineering" are playing because I noticed a short while back that I've been changed from interleaving back to Fast Data path. I presume that is what only TT engineering can do and not a facility available to me?

Well I thing that "engineering" are playing because I noticed a short while back that I've been changed from interleaving back to Fast Data path. I presume that is what only TT engineering can do and not a facility available to me?

It's just a software/hardware setting and doesn't require an engineering session.

If you check the link in my last post, you will see this:

6l1moaf.jpg

This matches your online 'experience' but if Talk Talk say they are in the middle of engineering work then you must, of course, wait to see if things improve.

Edit:

p.s. why have you been moved back to fast path as that is likely to make your connection more unstable? :blink:

I've just come across this and am wondering if your exchange is being worked on?

Upgrade/maintenance work to TalkTalk

Over the course of the last two weeks, we have been upgrading our network across more than 100 exchanges nationwide in order to provide our customers with a better landline/broadband service.

As a consequence, some of you may have experienced intermittent call quality & connectivity issues for which we apologise.

Could well be CW. Interesting that Chester-le-Street is shown as being completed. However, I'm sure the level 2/engineering are still fiddling on with my settings as of about 3 hours ago the router must have been re-booted and it is back to interleaved again with RE-ADSL2 as the standard. Ths week the YoYo has been bouncing even faster.

Speed.png

However, I'm sure the level 2/engineering are still fiddling on with my settings as of about 3 hours ago the router must have been re-booted and it is back to interleaved again with RE-ADSL2 as the standard. Ths week the YoYo has been bouncing even faster.

Speed.png

Yes it seems that your connection is being tweaked.

By the way the RE prefix stands for 'reach extended' and is meant for long lines - see here

finishing touches are being put on a new annex of the ADSL2 standard that will specify a means to extend the reach of ADSL technology. The new annex, dubbed reach-extended ADSL2 (RE-ADSL2), pushes the reach of traditional ADSL systems allowing ADSL systems to reach as far as 20,000 ft.

This is only needed if you have an attenuation of more than 63 dB and your line is shorter than mine at 55 dB (you have aprox 48 dB)

I'm currently syncing at 3,616 giving me a 3 Mb profile which is faster than you.

On your attenuation, you should be getting speeds of around 5 Mb not the varying speeds that you get at present barely reaching 2 Mb :(

p.s. lower attenuation is better as this means less signal loss on the line so an attenuation of 0 dB means you are living within a stone throw of the exchange!