Spyware Terminator

andsome

Spware terminator.

I have been trying this program. It is not to be confused with another program of the same name. Having created a Restore point and made a back up for safety I downloaded and installed it. Everything about it seems to be completely straightforward and easy to understand. It has REAL TIME protection, and for those who want a free AV program this is also included, and for those who are happy with their existing AV, as I am, it can be easily disabled. Automatic updates and scans can be set as often as required. To date I am happy with the program and its ease of use and configuration. I have no way at this stage of know how good it is, but its ease of use warrants a trial, and so far I recommend it. :D

I agree it's a good bit of kit, if you tick all the boxes on the HIPS protection, it gets a bit intrusive as it learns a suitable rule-set and some software installations need quite a few clicks to set appropriate permissions. But once done it pretty well locks things down and the nasties have little chance of sneaking aboard unnoticed.

I've had this on my Laptop for about a year now and nothing malicious has got through. It's very thorough, perhaps too thorough for some people, as it doesn't allow even a dll mini-programme to run without your approval. Therefore perhaps it's easy to get into the habit of allowing everything. Even so it will still warn you about anything malicious getting through.

There's a very detailed review of it here (from netsecurity.org). Some years ago the distributors were criticised for bundling some adware with it. That issue has definitely been cleared up and so long as you get it from a reputable site it's adware free (not even a nag page to buy the paid version) and gets a green tick from McAfee SiteAdvisor.

There's an optional Toolbar that now seems to come with it which you may wish to not install (see the netsecurity.org review mentioned above).

so are still running Super Anti spyware and Spyware Blaster with it?

Spyware Blaster works by installing a list of websites known to try to deliberately install pop-ups, adware & other malware into your computer. It puts that list into your restricted sites list meaning you can't access those sites unless you delete them from the list or agree to over-ride the restriction. In other words, it works to protect you when browsing the internet.

Spyware Terminator works more by protecting system files from any source (such as installing a new programme) all the time, not just when connected to the internet. I've had them both running on this laptop for about a year & they seem to work together very well. Super AntiSpyware I know nothing about.

P.S. In

Something went wrong there, Lamb Chop. That last note should read:

P.S. In answer to your post on another thread, I've also had WinPatrol running alongside SpyWare Terminator & SpyWare Blaster for about a year & have encountered no problems.

Spyware Terminator also has an Immunisation feature that appears similar to the SpywareBlaster Killbit approach, they don't clash. Only drawback with it is that although the immunisation updates automatically with the main program, you have to manually select immunise to use the new info, but as you're already doing that with SpywareBlaster it'll be a familiar procedure.

Only drawback with it is that although the immunisation updates automatically with the main program, you have to manually select immunise to use the new info, but as you're already doing that with SpywareBlaster it'll be a familiar procedure.

I think this immunisation only applies if you have the Web Security Guard installed as well. Otherwise installation of the updates occurs automatically after the download.

Dencandy - Thanks for that.

With Winpatrol - are you running the free version only or have you paid the one off lifetime subscription?

It says on the site if you do - will help you with what programs to take off start up etc also explain a few - but you can usually google so hesitate every time they nag :D

Shall I shan't I :D

I think this immunisation only applies if you have the Web Security Guard installed as well.
I've got one installation with Web security guard and one without, the immunisation feature is present in both so would appear to be independent of Web Security guard. You do lose the Favourites and Cookies scans if you leave it off, which to my mind is no great loss.

Lamb Chop: For my purposes, I find the free version is sufficient. If I was thinking of getting the paid-for I'd look carefully at the extra things it does and see if they are different from what SpyWare Terminator does. If they are too similar they might clash - or just be a waste of resources & money. As I said before, not a single virus, pop-up or other malware in the last 12 months, although there was one item of adware just before that time which came with a silly game I downloaded. Spyware Terminator told me about it after the adware was installed, but it was easy to delete.

Belatucadrus: Maybe you've got a more recent version than I have; mine is the free version. I definitely don't have to install or immunise the updates, it happens automatically after the download.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the recommendation mate..i will check this software out.

I am still using it and have no bother at all. I don't use the Web security guard just in case it interferes with my A.V. program. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I am still very happy with the program.As I said, in my previous post I don't use the web security guard in case of interference with my A.V. program. Does anyone happen to know if i am doing the right thing here, or should I use it? :D

• 3 weeks later...

That person may have a vested interest in his personal choice. Remember, that any such program is only as good as its latest updates. What one program can find today, another may not. The only one that I condemn outright is Windows defender, as it will never find tracking cookies. Some people do not object to tracking cookies, but I do and so do many others. I don't want my meanderings round the net to be viewable by any commercial interest. Spyware terminator is an excellent program and has been very useful to me in conjunction with one or two others. I think you need more than one. :D

I get that newsletter too and have tried some of his recommendations and found they did not suit my computer or not so good.

For instance Commodo and Fire threat both of which do not work on either of my computers running XP Home 2006.

Other people with same OS say they work fine.

I thin it all depends on what else you are running.

who knows..........shrug. :D