Judges going soft

mark2

Law lords Woolf and Irvine suggesting offenders should not be jailed if at all possible.

Also seems the Met are no longer pursuing burglaries unless there are very definite clues and only serious crimes will be investigated .

Noticed these two points in several of todays papers.

we were thinking zero tolerance would help, now we have total tolerance, Crooks can do as they please!!

On the 14th December we were burgled whilst we were away in Torquay for the weekend. My house was ransacked. The PC's were not taken, thankfully, but I won't describe what the house looked like inside.

The Police did what they had to do I guess.

I won't go into detail, but now whenever we go out we take every key with us, as they took all the house and car keys, and stole my car as well.

I've had a burglar alarm fitted now, 6ft fencing is being erected around the garden and security lights installed.

All locks have been changed, including my wife's car. It's cost me about £1500 so far.

I'm insured with Direct Line.......they have yet to send me a claim form.

Burglars?

Don't ask my opinion, I'm biased.

It is all to do with money :( They will not build new prisons to house convicts, but I bet they would build new houses for Assylum seekers ! ! !

They should bang ALL law breakers up whether they have shot a person or robbed a house (excluding petty crimes like driving offenses etc.). They are a menace to society and should not be given a free hand to continue their rampage !

bvw in bristol - I am sorry that you have had to endure this horrific uptip in your life, especially so near to Xmas. My sister-in-law was also burgled last year and I know exactly what you are going through. The uneasyness and fear that breakins cause is a horrible thing to live with. This and the paranoia that it also causes with questions of who and why etc etc and leaving the house again???

She also installed a burglar alarm and erected a 6 foot fence around her property. As well as this she had an ordeal getting another insurance policy when her old one expired. She felt persecuted by the insurance companies because she had been burgled. It isn't fair. :angry: :angry: :angry: It's disgusting :angry:

Cookie's reply is very apt. This is what the 'do gooders' think like. "Poor burglars, it's not their fault. You can't have a dangerous barrier like that around your home ! You can't hit them, they were only passing (through your front room with your video under their arm)" The police don't give a damn either (too much paper work for them). They would rather give tickets out for using mobile phones in the car than solve any real crime :angry: It's more money for the force though isn't it !

It's about time something was done in this country. A big shake up is needed. :ph34r:

Scarthy, thank you for your kind thoughts. cookie and you are right in what you say, the victims of crime appear to be ignored whilst all the "do-gooders" in this country go out of their way to provide help and understanding to the thieves and villains. There seems to be no real deterrent these days, we now hear of community service etc, and whilst I really know nothing of these things, if it worked, then surely crime would decrease? I don't believe it has.

We actually had a loss adjuster come to us today, one month and one day after the burglary. I was at work but my rottweiler, (my wife) dealt with him. From what I gather it seems we were being investigated more than the actual crime. This is our first claim ever and amounts to approx £1000, we have been married for nearly 20yrs and insured with Direct Line for about 15yrs. I've paid for most of the damage myself now as I was not prepared to wait any longer for Direct Line to get their act together.

Cookie......it's not the 6ft fence the burglars have to worry about, the garden is now full of land mines and I hope to get planning permission for machine gun turrets ;)

bvw in bristol

My sister-in-law was the same...Never had a claim and treat like a liar ! It seems to me that the Insurance companies are bigger crooks than the actual villans. :angry:

These people who continually claim for new carpets every year or so seem to get better thought of !

I don't believe that crime has decreased either. It's the number of arrests and prosecutions that has gone down. That's all ! In the same way that unemployment went down a few years ago due to the fact that loads of people who claimed unemployment benefit were adviced to go onto sickness benefit - hence the figures fell (just in time for voting...me thinks)... <_>

It is a sad fact that not only the judges are going soft, also the law is an absolute ASS. If a dog bites a burglar, or he trips over a badly fitted carpet he can sue you. The law should be the same as in America. There, if a burglar breaks into your property it is his problem if he gets hurt. It is also a sad fact that there is one law for THEM and another for us. If someone broke into BUCK HOUSE the police would be round in force within seconds. They would move heaven and earth to catch and convict the culprits, but if we get broken into then tough s***. We are after all only commoners. Look what the case against Diana's butler cost the nation. What about the farmer locked up for shooting a burglar? They won't let him out on parole because he will not say sorry and show remorse. He should never have been locked up in the first instance. I could go on for ever, but it all just makes me feel sick.

2up.gif

bigeek.gif

Guest Timeforabeer

I have wifey and 2 daughters asleep upstairs....If a burglar breaks into my home and i catch him...there's a good chance he'll be wearing a nice aluminium baseball bat as a floppy hat :angry:

No, no, Timeforabeer, that's very naughty. What you have to do is let him have the baseball bat so he can hit you with it.

Result. You go off work and lose your house, car etc. Your wife leaves you and takes your daughters and you become destitute.

The burglar points the finger at himself, anonymous phone call, and he'll end up getting a free two week all expenses paid holiday somewhere nice.

See! Our judges aren't so nasty after all. :lol: