There is a new Ubuntu Linux version out now: Hardy Heron 8.04

bartek

Is Ubuntu Linux ready for the desktop?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What does the average Window user think of Ubuntu?

• Yes, it's even better then any other Windows version.
    • Yes, it is as good as XP/Vista
    • Yes, but not as good as XP/Vista
    • Maybe, looks good but it's not ready to become first choise.
    • No, they're got some work to do before it will be good.
    • Absolutly no, what a crap.

This is the one I use on Windows.

http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

If you think that is a big download andsome, Fedora is 3.4GB.

andsome I have just had a look at Nero.

Start up Nero smart start, select DATA, Make data image, Image project copy, Disk image, change file type to IMAGE FILES (*nrg*iso etc), click on the iso file, click burn, click burn.

I could not fathom things out regarding an Iso disc in Nero 6, so I used the program in your link. This was fine and I made the disk. However booting up proved to be a waste of time. I was given three options.

1/ Start Linux Mint.

2/ Start Linux Mint in safe graphics mode.

3/ Boot from first hard disk.

The first two resulted in seeing a Linux Mint window with a double green bar scrolling backward and forwards, this was followed by the double green bar slowly progressing from left to right. Then the screen blacked out and left a cursor blinking top left for a while. This was in turn followed by a cross appearing in the centre of the screen, followed by a very small spinning disk. Then the screen blacked out again and I received the No signal message on screen. The third option booted up Windows XP.

The whole exercise seems to have been a waste of time. :D

Scarthy © ® ™ it is quite possible when you installed it you selected the command line instead of the GUI.

Try this at the command prompt,

sudo startx

Andsome at least you tried, I have seen that message with different distros, so it is not you, generally it is to do with the graphics card, or the lack of vesa drivers on the disk.

Just out of interest andsome have you got a Nvidia or ATI graphics card.

Scarthy © ® ™ it is quite possible when you installed it you selected the command line instead of the GUI.

Try this at the command prompt,

sudo startx

Andsome at least you tried, I have seen that message with different distros, so it is not you, generally it is to do with the graphics card, or the lack of vesa drivers on the disk.

Just out of interest andsome have you got a Nvidia or ATI graphics card.

Not very well up on the internal bits and pieces. Would an Abit Siluro be what you mean? Don't laugh if I have it wrong. :D

That will be a nVidia then

Many thanks. I am not well up on the hardware side of things. :D

andsome they only made two graphics cards, the GF2, MMX 400, and the GF4 Ti 4200.

At a guess I would say you have the Ti 4200, you can verify that in Device manager.

That will be a nVidia then

Many thanks. I am not well up on the hardware side of things. :D

andsome they only made two graphics cards, the GF2, MMX 400, and the GF4 Ti 4200.

At a guess I would say you have the Ti 4200, you can verify that in Device manager.

Abit Suluro GF4T14200-8X

andsome, have a look at Sun VirtualBox http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?s...c=36634&hl=

With this you can install any number of operating systems without them interfering with your main Windows setup. I had a play with it yesterday and installed Fedora. Didn't like it very much (too big) so I'm going to have a try with Linux Mint today.

andsome, have a look at Sun VirtualBox http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?s...c=36634&hl=

With this you can install any number of operating systems without them interfering with your main Windows setup. I had a play with it yesterday and installed Fedora. Didn't like it very much (too big) so I'm going to have a try with Linux Mint today.

I will have a look at it another day. We will be at our daughters all day today, then tomorrow morning at 7-30A.M. I have to take 'Er Indoors into hospital for the operation. If she doesn't feel up to a long visit on the evening I will play a bowls match, and on Wednesday i have to bring her home. Quite a busy schedule. I will put it into My Favourites thanks. :D

• 6 months later...