There is a new Ubuntu Linux version out now: Hardy Heron 8.04

bartek

Is Ubuntu Linux ready for the desktop?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What does the average Window user think of Ubuntu?

• Yes, it's even better then any other Windows version.
    • Yes, it is as good as XP/Vista
    • Yes, but not as good as XP/Vista
    • Maybe, looks good but it's not ready to become first choise.
    • No, they're got some work to do before it will be good.
    • Absolutly no, what a crap.

What does the average Window user think of Ubuntu? Shoot :blink:

I've also posted this question/poll on a Ubuntu forum, but I'm sure they are more fanatics so I would like to know the opinion of the average Window user.

In a few weeks I'll post the link to the other poll here so we can compare the results.

How can the average Windows user have a real opinion? I for one am perfectly happy with Windows and have absolutely no desire to try it out. This is purely my personal opinion, in the same way that I have no desire to try Firefox again. This is a Windows forum, and although some on here use other operating syatems this is also purely their choice. The majority of Windows users on here are also content with the status quo, or they would have changed by now and this would be Ubunto or Linux website. :D

How can the average Windows user have a real opinion?

A lot of people use linux as a dual boot on their PC or have tried it in the past. So i do expect the scores on the poll to be very low, but it may surprise us how many computer enthusiasts now about it. I'm also curious to read the reply of the users of this forum.

Thank you for your honest answer.

How can the average Windows user have a real opinion?

A lot of people use linux as a dual boot on their PC or have tried it in the past. So i do expect the scores on the poll to be very low, but it may surprise us how many computer enthusiasts now about it. I'm also curious to read the reply of the users of this forum.

Thank you for your honest answer.

:lol: :lol: I am always honest, BLUNT but honest. :lol: :lol:

I keep having a look at Linux in various flavours but there is something about it (I can't define what) that makes me go back to XP. I will certainly not entertain Vista so, if it becomes impossible to get XP as MS keep threatening, I will look more closely and seriously at using Linux as my default O/S

One big thing that puts me off totally is the seemingly vast number of names involved. So far I have tracked down

Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Debian, Slackware, gentoo, Ubuntu, KDE, GNOME, LinuxDA, Hardy Heron 8.04. There are probably many more. All this is enough to put anyone off. I don't know if these are all different flavours or what. :D

andsome - just think of Linux distributions as being like different makes of cars with all their different models/engines/trim levels/specifications.

They will all get you from a to b, but in different ways. Some people have a basic simple car, others have exotic speedsters, and there are also those who need vans or 4wd vehicles :)

Here's a list of all the Linux Live CDs about :)

http://www.livecdlist.com/

andsome - just think of Linux distributions as being like different makes of cars with all their different models/engines/trim levels/specifications.

They will all get you from a to b, but in different ways. Some people have a basic simple car, others have exotic speedsters, and there are also those who need vans or 4wd vehicles :)

Here's a list of all the Linux Live CDs about :)

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Good grief. That lot is even more incentive to me to steer well clear. :lol:

andsome where is your spirit of adventure.

Download one of the live CD's, burn it as an ISO then set your BIOS to boot from CD and run it.

There is no need to install it, but it will give you a look at what Linux is about.

Try Linux Mint, it has all the codecs you will need on the live Cd, unlike Ubuntu.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I would say that the "average" Windows user, has probably never heard of Linux. Thinking of my family, friends and acquaintances there is no one who is on Linux, and only one (my sister..on a MAC)) who is on anything other than Windows.

Until Microsoft's "monopoly" of the "pre installed" OS is ended there is little possibility of the "average" Windows user coming in contact with it.

I find this rather sad because there are many things about Linux that are light years ahead of Windows. This I suspect is because of the OPEN nature of Linux compared to the cloak and dagger secrecy and litigatious nature Microsoft.

Microsoft have the one size fits all approach."You will fit into our ways" where as with Linux the many different Flavours give users a range of options to choose from.

Initially when I tried Linux some years ago It seemed like a very strange thing (I think it was a very early SuSE), but as it has developed, in all its varieties, it has undoubtedly produced some very user friendly and conformable Operating Systems.

The debate about which is the best Linux flavour seems a bit pointless because it is all a matter of personal preference. The only down side to using Linux is that there are some non M$ produced software packages that are excellent, but they cannot be used "easily" on Linux. But, that having been said, there are usually Linux programmes that will do the job just as well and many of them will "read" non native file types.

andsome where is your spirit of adventure.

Download one of the live CD's, burn it as an ISO then set your BIOS to boot from CD and run it.

There is no need to install it, but it will give you a look at what Linux is about.

Try Linux Mint, it has all the codecs you will need on the live Cd, unlike Ubuntu.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Thought I would have a look just to please you, but cannot see what to do with the file once it is downloaded.

My personal preference is for puppy linux, lightweight, speedy and best of all runs happily from my windows NTFS partition with NO formatting/file system/MBR changes on my drive.

If I break it I can reinstall from a back up including all my files in a few minutes.

andsome you have downloaded the wrong file, you want Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna main edition Gnome which is 688mb.

When you have downloaded it fire up nero or the freeware program boris posted then select burn image (or ISO) to CD, point it to where the ISO is located then click burn (or start).

Scarthy © ® ™, if you are using WUBI, you have installed it within Windows, so when you boot up the boot menu includes the option to boot to Windows or Ubuntu.

To remove it go to add & remove in Windows and uninstall it from there

andsome you have downloaded the wrong file, you want Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna main edition Gnome which is 688mb.

When you have downloaded it fire up nero or the freeware program boris posted then select burn image (or ISO) to CD, point it to where the ISO is located then click burn (or start).

Scarthy © ® ™, if you are using WUBI, you have installed it within Windows, so when you boot up the boot menu includes the option to boot to Windows or Ubuntu.

To remove it go to add & remove in Windows and uninstall it from there

It's downloading now, blimey it's a long job even on 4MB broadband. :D

This is the one I use on Windows.

http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

If you think that is a big download andsome, Fedora is 3.4GB.

andsome I have just had a look at Nero.

Start up Nero smart start, select DATA, Make data image, Image project copy, Disk image, change file type to IMAGE FILES (*nrg*iso etc), click on the iso file, click burn, click burn.

@ Alan2273 - Yes I know it's there. I wanted it to work so I could get rid of Windows all together, and thought that I could try it before fully re-installing it over Windows with WUBI. It didn't work :( I get the option of Windows/Ubuntu @ startup but the Ubuntu doesn't seem to work and all I can get is a command prompt. I am thinking of removing it, maybe my hardware isn't compatible with it? I did start looking around for any further info to try and find some reason why it doesn't like me, but it just got put on the back shelf for the time been and I haven't got around to it yet.

I did see the heron and got very excited but thats about all. It really burst my bubble when it didn't work and I got quite down, after I was on a high at the thought of it working and ditching M$. Ah well ;)

Been running Kubuntu for nearly 3 years, and haven't used windows at home for 1 year.

Love it, its the only company out their (I'm exagerating a bit :lol:) which allow anyone and everyone to use their OS COMPLETELY FREE even businesses can use it at no cost, google runs it (modified version).

Suse if you plan on using it for business you have to pay, Ubuntu doesn't do that which I believe to be brilliant.

What makes it even better is the simplicity of it, completely amazes me.

I can write 10 page essays on why I love it.

@ Alan2273 - Yes I know it's there. I wanted it to work so I could get rid of Windows all together, and thought that I could try it before fully re-installing it over Windows with WUBI. It didn't work :( I get the option of Windows/Ubuntu @ startup but the Ubuntu doesn't seem to work and all I can get is a command prompt. I am thinking of removing it, maybe my hardware isn't compatible with it? I did start looking around for any further info to try and find some reason why it doesn't like me, but it just got put on the back shelf for the time been and I haven't got around to it yet.

I did see the heron and got very excited but thats about all. It really burst my bubble when it didn't work and I got quite down, after I was on a high at the thought of it working and ditching M$. Ah well ;)

I downloaded Heron in April shortly after its official release. Not out of any enthusiasm for NEW, because there always seem to be problems with NEW. Be it computer programmes, cars, etc. the Mark II has had most of the real user road test bugs ironed out and the Mark III is usually better still, but a problem ( with a Gibbon update I think) caused me to have to do something serious and so I upgraded to Heron Mk I. I had a period of about ten days where a variety of strange things happened (or sometimes did not happen). It was almost like being back on W95. So I downloaded a newer version of Heron and all was well.

There have been a very large number of updates issued foe Heron over the last month and my suggestion is that you download the latest issue.