Outlook Express keeps closing down

stephmayes

I wonder if anyone can help me please.

I use Outlook Express 6.

Just recently this program keeps closing down without any reason. It does not come up with any error code..it just closes down after an hour or to of no use. The computer remains on and working. Its just the program that closes down..very annoying ! :angry:

I use microsofts own firewall as I have before. I have no changed anything or downloaded anything other than updates from microsofts website.

any knowledge anyone ?

Steph

x

Not a direct answer to your question but, I never keep email programs open.

I use Mailwasher to check my emails from four email clients every 15 minutes and it tells me if there is new mail. I can then check it (or not).

Not a direct answer to your question but, I never keep email programs open.

I use Mailwasher to check my emails from four email clients every 15 minutes and it tells me if there is new mail. I can then check it (or not).

I use it to download them, read them and decide what actions are needed then close it until the next time, exactly as pops does. I have no way of knowing whether or not it would close by itself. I never leave any unused programs open. :D

I would suggest trying this for a few days before attempting possibly unnecessary repairs.

Might not be much help to you in terms of fixing it, but I used to use Outlook and it is not really worth the hassle. It really is just full of problems.

If you are not using the hotmail connector or anything and you use pop3, imap email service, then the best alternative will be Thunderbird. I have been using it for many months now and I have not yet to find and fault, it has all the of the functionality of the Outlook, through the use of the add-ons and it is not that to learn.

I agree that Thunderbird is a good email client - better than Outlook Express. If you also have it coupled up with Sunbird (calendar) you are pretty well up to Outlook in capability.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/

I only use Outlook on one machine as that's what's always been there and I don't want to disturb the system by changing over with the possible risk of data loss. On any new machine I have, it will be the Mozilla offerings.

I agree that Thunderbird is a good email client - better than Outlook Express. If you also have it coupled up with Sunbird (calendar) you are pretty well up to Outlook in capability.

Proud Thunderbird user here. I'll never go back :D Thunderbird imported all my emails, contacts and account settings for me painlessly, without corruption.

Steph:

Go to Tools > Options > Connection tab and make sure "Hang up after sending/receiving" is unchecked. It should not close the program, but its a good idea to clear this box unless you specifically want this feature.

Might not be much help to you in terms of fixing it, but I used to use Outlook and it is not really worth the hassle. It really is just full of problems.

If you are not using the hotmail connector or anything and you use pop3, imap email service, then the best alternative will be Thunderbird. I have been using it for many months now and I have not yet to find and fault, it has all the of the functionality of the Outlook, through the use of the add-ons and it is not that to learn.

This thread is about Outlook Express, which is a completely different product than Outlook.

Now it seems my whole computer is crashing. I closed the email down and kept just one window open. It does exactly the same thing to a point.

If any window is open for a period of time, my whole computer crashes to switch off.

If I leave no windows open, the computer doesnt crash ?????? :censored:

Maybe a virus ? I run with AVG free version..never had any problems

Been told today the hard drive maybe faulty if it keeps crashing which it does. Guess its a trip to the computer shop to ghost the hard drive and replace it with another.

Computers eh !

Thanks for all your comments and advice. All been very helpful

Thankyou

Steph

x