Defraggler

For one thing I can defrag individual files, which is one feature I require.
Defrag Individual Files

Most defragmentation tools only let you defrag the whole drive. Defraggler gives you the power to select individual files and folders to defrag. So you can get the job done in seconds, rather than waiting for the whole drive to complete. Of course if you want to defrag the whole drive Defraggler will let you do that too.

Features

As it says on the tin, it does it in seconds. Well, it does for me. B)

Will it defrag the WHOLE drive in seconds? I will set it running again and time it for a 160GB drive while still using the computer. :D

It took 24 minutes, a lot longer than Diskeeper. Also bear in mind that the drive was defragged yesterday before I closed down. :D

I will leave it on the computer for now and give it a few more tries. I will almost certainly then uninstall it. I would not like to be without the boot time defrag in Diskeeper. It really does make a noticeable difference to the speed of operation of the computer.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Useless - worse than!

I recently bought a laptop machine (my first). Having finsished loading most of the stuff I want on to it, I tried Defraggler.

At the start:

17 fragmented files = 21.5GB

73 total fragments

44% Fragmentation

48.6GB used space

At the end::

5 fragmented files = 21.5GB

67 total fragments

43% Fragmentation

50.3GB used space

What has it done for me? Well consolidated 17 files into 5 with no change in total size. Lost 1% of fragments only and lost 1.7GB of hard drive space - all in the time of 85 minutes.

Huh!

-pops-

I would hazard a guess from your resuts that the new laptop is a Vista machine ?

System restore points, especially in Vista, continue to take snapshots, even while you are defragging (part of Volume Shadow Copy), so I believe that the big unchanged files remain because you have not turned off Volume Shadow Copy ?

See this thread :-http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=16464

+ have a read through this :-

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/turn-off-...opy-vista.shtml

Defraggler seems to work fine with every O/S that I have tried including Windows 7RC (after a bit of "tweaking" :) )

Yes, it is a Vista machine.

I still feel Defraggler a load of rubbish. if it requires things to be turned off, it should tell you that.

Even considering that, it still consumed drive space.

I've just run Windows defragmenter and have 40GB used space which is more like I anticipated.

I tried Defraggler some time ago on XP, and ran Diskeeper afterwards. Before running Diskeeper I analysed the drive after using Defraggler, and Defraggler had hardly made any difference. I will stick with Diskeeper thanks. :D

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Further to my disparaging comments earlier about Defraggler, I thought it only fair to give it another go.

I now find this latest version very good indeed - in fact I have installed it on all of my machines now.

OK, it takes a long time for its initial scan but that's because it has a lot of work to do in sorting out the low effectiveness of the previous program I was using (Auslogic/Puran).

The new Defraggler has recovered a huge amount of hard drive space on each of the machines I have installed it on and there is a very noticeable improvement in performance.

I thus retract everything I said previously about Defraggler.

• 4 weeks later...

I have now fallen out with Defraggler again.

My post (#12 in this thread) saying how wonderful I now found it, my opinion has reverted to my original - damned useless that chews up disk space for no good reason.

I set it to work on Sunday with 50GB used hard drive space. When it had finished there was 76GB used space. A second run increased that to 78GB.

I did a System Restore, threw out Defraggler and went back to Auslogics.

-pops-, I have given Defraggler another try as well. Again I thought all was well. I would not recommend running the program on any machine with another file system on the same partition as Windows system files (a virtual machine or the like). Wreaks havoc and causes all to disintegrate/reintegrate. In a bad way….:blink: :lol:

Although I haven’t had the same problem this go-round, I do remember that Defraggler used to leave a bunch of leftover files behind. If I remember correctly, I believe one had to turn off System Restore to get that space back.

I’m back to the Windows defragger. Never caused any problems to date.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Defraggler v2.19.982 released

Whats New:

• Added move Files or Folders to end of drive.
  • Improved SSD Optimize and Quick Optimize.
  • Added new scriptable /CHECKERRORS parameter to check drive for errors.
  • Added option to disable auto Benchmark after Defrag.
  • Improved localization support.
  • Minor GUI improvements.
  • Minor bug fixes.

uploader.gifDownload: Defraggler