I've been reading reviews, looking at forums, searching, etc. and have come up with the following:

LCD:

Pro pro-longed use. Obviously better choice for computer displays as it does not suffer from burn-in (although top end plasmas have virtually eliminated the burn-in effect)

Pro smaller screen sizes. Under 40" the obvious choice is LCD. Plasma simply cannot compete.

Pro better for gaming. Has better resolution especially with smaller screen sizes. Resolution is exactly the same at larger sizes.

Pro can be used at any altitude. Plasma will have issues like noises or distortion above 6,500 feet.

Pro lower power consumption. Uses nearly 1/2 as much power as similar Plasma screens.

Pro generates far less heat than Plasma (LCD creates virtually none)

Con "Ghosting" or trails can occur as LCD does not currently posses the ability to "turn on" or "turn off" a pixel as fast as Plasma. This can cause trailing on some images.

Con Brightness. LCD's contrast is inferior to Plasma and it can also NOT display a true black. They can only display very VERY dark grey.

Con viewing area is often shown as up to 180 degrees, but this is false. Generally LCD has a viewing area of 90 degrees (45 on each side)

Plasma:

Pro short usage, such as movies, television etc.

Pro Virtually your only choice for screens 40"+ as the price of LCD becomes too high once you pass the 40" threshold.

Pro Black. Can display black as dark as it can get.

Pro Fast response time. Can turn on or off pixels faster than the eye can process it, thus no trailing or ghosting.

Pro Viewing area is a true 180 degrees. You can see just as well form a very acute angle as you can form straight on.

Con Heavy! Upwards of twice the weight of an LCD of the same size

Con Burn-in (on some models) Plasma is prone to burn-in meaning if you have a still image on your screen for long periods of time it can burn-in (like CRT displays do).

Con Uses a LOT of power. Nearly twice as much as similar LCD's

Overall:

You may be looking for the "Buy X because of Y" but it simply doesn't exist. The sets are similar in may ways, and each excels in certain ways as well. What you're using it for, and what you want it for are the deciding factors here.

Plasma for:

Movies, light tv or the "high def" junkie may prefer Plasma. Especially in larger sizes.

LCD for:

Gamers, PC users and users who do not want a giant screen may prefer LCD. If you have deep pockets, LCD can match Plasma in almost every field and surpass it in many ways.

What am I choosing?

LCD.

I will be using the screen for a lot of gaming (hooking it up to my PC, and game consoles) and will probably look into a digital projector for movies.

I don't have deep pockets, but LCD has advantages that out weigh it's disadvantages when it comes to gaming. Because of plasmas burn-in, weight, and heat production it will not be ideal for me to choose plasma. I also don't plan on going above 40" because I'm not a high-def junkie. I watch SDTV and rarely watch HD. I do not own a Blue-Ray or HDDVD player, so the loss will be minimal compared to the gains of LCD vs Plasma.

We bought a replacement CRT TV about five years ago, as the LCD and Plasma types were quite a ridiculous price. We are now toying with the idea of replacing it with a new LCD mode. We don't want one of these huge screens in an eighteen foot long room, they are too overpowering. A thirty two inch model will suit us fine. It won't be connected to a computer. :D

• 4 months later...

Well on technical terms and this has just only recently come about LCD is the way forward with samsung. They now make the main board for Sony and other's and there series 9 is definitely the words best by far and a quick look you will soon see why. However series 7 and 8 are also a force to be reckoned with with contrast ratio's of up to 50000 to 1 and higher so do check these out as prices have fallen very low in the last month. Sony are also very tied up with samsung and are good. if in doubt just post the model number and i can advise you further. Don't forget you need to keep to the standard 1080i or at the high end p and keep to at least a contrast ratio of 50000 to1 if you go with p

Should you go with plasma then the Japanese pioneer i think is top performing TV and in all probability some like myself say is best. At the lower price point it will be hard to resit a samsung 32 inch for around £475 the SAMSUNG LE32A557P2FXXU 1080i for example at 15000 to 1 irresistible :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a 26" LCD in my bedroom and then a 50" Plasma downstairs. Both TVs are good, but in my opinion the LCD is better (Not regarding size) :)

And do tell us..."Where did you buy it?

I reckon it could have been Consumer Electronics ;)

I have a 26" LCD in my bedroom and then a 50" Plasma downstairs. Both TVs are good, but in my opinion the LCD is better (Not regarding size) :)

And do tell us..."Where did you buy it?

I reckon it could have been Consumer Electronics ;)

lol it wasn't actually :P Both came from... Dixons I think. Quite difficult to remember, bought them a while ago :)