Something To Think About

Guest Nellie2

Guest Nellie2

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large, empty glass jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, about 2" in diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course the sand filled up everything else. He then asked once more if the jar was full and the students responded with an unaminous yes!

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under his desk and proceeded to pour the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the remaining space between the grains of sand. The students laughed.

"Now", said the professor, as the laughter subsided," I want you to recognise that this jar represents your life. The rocks are the important things-- your family,your partner,your children, your friends, your health-- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

"The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your pets. The sand is everything else - the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first", he continued" there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups.

"Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. "take care of the rocks first - the things that really matter. Set your priorities, the rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and asked what the beer represented.

The professor smiled." I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no

matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."

excellent post nellie, i personally gave up on chasing the big career move when my son was born, i take loads of stick from my workmates for finishing work at 1pm every day but hey, who's the one at home in the sun playing football with my boy while they are slaving over whatever it is that they are doing???

One of us has sense, just need to decide which one....

Too true about the beers as well.

Make the most of any free time, none of us know how long we are going to live. I have a friend who meticulously cleans, rinses and polishes the car at least once every week whether it needs it or not. The lawn is cut twice a week, and during the drought he has poured thousands of gallons of water onto it, resulting in it needing more mowing. He worries and frets about what job to do next. I would rather have a game of bowls, or take 'er indoors out for the day, and live every day as though it might be my last.

Guest Nellie2

This is one of my favourite quotes Andsome

Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die tomorrow

and another one

Work like you don't need money,

Love like you've never been hurt,

And dance like no one's watching.

Yeah well what LB doesn't know is that I am a brown belt in Jujitsu!!! (or used to be.... but I can still fight if I have to!!!)

jujitsu - isn't that some sort of flower arranging.........?

for your information nellie, i live in a shoe at the bottom of your garden....so come and beat me up with your brown belt, i'll be waiting!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P ;)

This is one of my favourite quotes Andsome

Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die tomorrow

and another one

Work like you don't need money,

Love like you've never been hurt,

And dance like no one's watching.

I like those nellie.

Wisdom surely does come with age, and in my case it is accompanied with extreme beauty.

Yeah, well Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.........I don't see anyone else commenting on how good looking you are! :P

I don't expect constant praise, people have other things to think about. It is however a fact that when people see me for the first time they usually gaze with their mouths open and then gasp, and mutter "I just don't believe this".

Wisdom surely does come with age, and in my case it is accompanied with extreme beauty.

Yeah, well Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.........I don't see anyone else commenting on how good looking you are! :P

I don't expect constant praise, people have other things to think about. It is however a fact that when people see me for the first time they usually gaze with their mouths open and then gasp, and mutter "I just don't believe this".

:lol: :lol:

You've got me beat there!!...not a lot else to add!!! :D