Many Americans have already bought their last car -

Tankus

thought provoking comment by Jim Kunstler.

The current occupant of the White House, however, has sedulously prepared for his successor the biggest shit sandwich the world has ever seen, and there is naturally some concern that Mr. Obama might choke on it. The dilemma is essentially this: the consumer economy we all knew and loved has died. There will be pressure from nearly every quarter to keep it hooked up to the costly life support machines even though it is dead. A different economy is waiting to be born, but it is nothing like the one that has died. The economy-to-come is one of rigor and austerity. It is not the kind of thing that a nation of overfed clowns is used to. Do we even have a prayer of getting to it, or are we going to squander our dwindling resources on life support for something that is already dead?
worth a read in full ....!

This country is about 15~20 years ahead of the US in the destruction of its manufacturing base and a change to a service led economy , If the US can halt its decline in its manufacturing base ( how though , protectionism ?) It may be better prepared to meet the new world economic order ..... think its too late for us , maybe we should do what the germans are doing and getting in on the green technology construction bandwagon , be about the growth area left ....

"...do you want fries with that sandwich I made for you?"

harsh , but the US only has 2 months to change , ...we have 18 ...

• 1 month later...

I found myself wondering this morning whether the USA car industry is in a similar position to Britain's 25 years ago. Remember British Leyland, Ford, etc & their outdated models, manufacturing methods & restrictive work practices? The US car industry has a lot of pain to go through to get it all sorted. But the petroleum-driven vehicle industry is not going to die out just yet (although eventually it will, of course).

I am glad that I am as old as I am. I dread to think what sort of world is being passed on to the young. :angry:

I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes I find myself wishing I was even older than I am! The people of the west are going to have it very tough for the next 20 years, I think. The results of the "spend now, pay later" mentality are finally showing themselves. The problem for most of you in the UK & USA is that all governments for the last 30 years have been promoting this outlook, and, so far as I can see, are still doing so. To borrow more now as a way of solving the problems caused by previous borrowing seems like madness - unless it's used to bring an end to this insane "credit economy".

We have problems here also, of course, but of a different nature. HAVE A HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :huh:

Sometimes I find myself wishing I was even older than I am!

You need to seek professional help.

?????????????????????????????

Wishing away his life

Definitely NOT wishing away my life. I have enjoyed what I have had so far, and look forward to many more years yet. I am just glad that my life did not start later. I feel sorry for what may face my grandchildren, with the state that the world is rapidly getting itself into. :D

Sometimes I find myself wishing I was even older than I am!

You need to seek professional help.

Don't take it seriously, it's just a manner of speaking. The point I wanted to make is that some countries are just waking up to find themselves with one hell of a hang-over after partying for the last 30 years on too much credit. It had to come to an end sometime and those in work now are the ones who are going to have to pay for it to be sorted out. I wish them all well & the greatest happiness while they're doing it and I hope they are successful because it seems to me it's not going to be easy. :flowers: