Updates??

andsome

My new computer is running like a dream and EVERYTHING is functioning as it should. I normally update most software programs as and when the updates are available. However a couple are showing on Hippo update checker that I am wondering about. As everything is running as it should, should I leave well alone regarding these two?

989__nero2.gif

Nero Burning Rom 9.0.9.4c

Installed Version: 7.5.7.0

52__nvidia.png

NVIDIA Forceware 178.24 WHQL XP

Installed Version: 175.31

As your machine is running as you want it to, leave these updates alone - especially the NVIDEA one. I've seen so many machines fubarred by injudicious messing about with NVIDEA firmware and updates

With Nero, I don't know if you use DVD Shrink but, if you do, be aware that it doesn't work properly with later versions of Nero.

As your machine is running as you want it to, leave these updates alone - especially the NVIDEA one. I've seen so many machines fubarred by injudicious messing about with NVIDEA firmware and updates

With Nero, I don't know if you use DVD Shrink but, if you do, be aware that it doesn't work properly with later versions of Nero.

I have DVD shrink installed, and my version of Nero is seven ultra. :D

IMHO leave Nero 9 alone :) - I'm still using Nero 6 which does everything i need.

Thanks both for the reply, I was reluctant to install these updates with everything running fine. :D

I just got an update alert from Filehippo Update Checker that a new version of Adobe AIR 1.5 is available. (This thing came originally with Adobe Reader 9, and it seems to be some kind of RTE for applications like Adobe Media Player, Acrobat.com, eBay Desktop, etc.)

Naturally I downloaded and installed it, and instantly my desktop turned ugly! It changed the font of the icon text to something unspeakable!

Uninstalling Adobe Media Player, Acrobat.com, and Adobe AIR did not undo the desktop ugliness!

I will have to manually repair my desktop, as System Restore will most likely bring back some parts of these uninstalled Adobe applications, which I don't want/need.

:censored:

Andsome, you can now say what you have to say... :lol:

I just got an update alert from Filehippo Update Checker that a new version of Adobe AIR 1.5 is available. (This thing came originally with Adobe Reader 9, and it seems to be some kind of RTE for applications like Adobe Media Player, Acrobat.com, eBay Desktop, etc.)

Naturally I downloaded and installed it, and instantly my desktop turned ugly! It changed the font of the icon text to something unspeakable!

Uninstalling Adobe Media Player, Acrobat.com, and Adobe AIR did not undo the desktop ugliness!

I will have to manually repair my desktop, as System Restore will most likely bring back some parts of these uninstalled Adobe applications, which I don't want/need.

:censored:

Andsome, you can now say what you have to say... :lol:

Thank yopu. I don't have Adobe Air. :D

Back on topic. I don't know yet whether my version of Nero will run with DVD shrink. I don't want to risk uninstalling it as the computer builder put it on from a memory stick, so I don't have a CD. I do however have the CD which came with a BUNDLED version of Nero, with my previous CD/DVD burner. Will this run with the new burners even though it was a bundled copy? If so, can I install it and leave version seven on the machine as well. It would of course want to install to the Nero folder in the first instance, so I could create a new folder in C and call it "burner software" and tell it to install there. Would this work, and would there be problems with two versions? :D

I'm fairly sure you're OK with Nero 7 - which is the one I use. It was after installing Nero 8 that I found that DVD Shrink didn't work. Reverting to the earlier version from a backup made everything back to normal.

Pat, thanks for the warning about Adobe Air. I stopped using Adobe reader some weeks ago (as I reported at the time) and not missed it one bit.

Any clashes between DVDshrink & Nero are probably with the Nero Recode 2 module that performs much the same function. If the Nero version installed has no Recode, then it should be OK.

Seven Ultra does have a recode mode. I have just checked. Any views on my idea to install Nero six, which was bundled with my last burner, and install it to a folder with a different name? :D

Quite often (not always) bundled software only functions with the hardware it was bundled with. It's worth a try with a different burner but it may not work.

Thanks, I will wait and see if the need arises. :D