When Spam Really Was Spam

AlanHo

As I was doing my regular morning chore today – deleting all the spam from my Email inbox that had poured in overnight – I got to reflecting that us old ‘uns can remember when spam had a more positive meaning.

Remember the Sunday tea times of your youth – a spam sandwich made of crusty bread (delivered by the baker with a horse and cart) and a smear of margarine. This would be followed by tinned fruit cocktail and jelly topped with evaporated milk for those of us who could not afford cream, accompanied by some slices of bread and ‘best’ butter (or margarine if the rent man had emptied my mothers purse beforehand).

Those were the days. Now I see tins of spam on the Tesco shelves and wonder whether they ever sell any. The younger breed could well be worried that it will contaminate their computers if they were to take any home not appreciating the treat they are missing.

:rolleyes:

Reminds me of the Sundays going down Petticoat lane with my elder brother and him buying a pint of Winkles. Then spending the afternoon winkling them out with a pin. It always seemed such a lot of effort to produce a layer for spreading on the bread and marge for tea. B)

post-1-1061291100_thumb.gif

Mr. Mouse. a man with my tastes exactly but best of all was bread & dripping for Monday breakfast.  Yummy. :P

The trouble is - you need a big joint of beef or lamb for the best dripping. I don't buy those much - but when I do.Oooh, dripping on toast for breakfast! Yummy, but SO bad for you! :P