"Smile please"....Big Brother is watching you.

catgate

Graudian:-

"The report, Surveillance: Citizens and the State, by the Lords' constitution committee, says Britain leads the world in the use of CCTV, with an estimated 4m cameras..."

That is one for every 15 people in the country.

Makes one think, dunnit?

Dunt do nowt for stoppin crime , do it? :angry:

The roads authority have installed one of those illuminating speed signs on a local main road - the sort that tell you your speed as you approach. I find them more acceptable than speed cameras and tend to behave myself when one flashes my speed at me.

There is a downside though - the local bikers frequent a pub on this main road and are using the sign to indicate their terminal speed at the end of a drag race between them. Sooner or later from what I have seen - it will be terminal. Last week I saw two of them approaching the sign doing wheelies alongside each other at a very high speed. Clever but stupid.

The roads authority have installed one of those illuminating speed signs on a local main road - the sort that tell you your speed as you approach. I find them more acceptable than speed cameras and tend to behave myself when one flashes my speed at me.

There is a downside though - the local bikers frequent a pub on this main road and are using the sign to indicate their terminal speed at the end of a drag race between them. Sooner or later from what I have seen - it will be terminal. Last week I saw two of them approaching the sign doing wheelies alongside each other at a very high speed. Clever but stupid.

I was interviewed about my pet hate on Wednesday by our local radio...

We have a ridiculous set of 'chicanes' and 'speed cushions' to negotiate every time we leave home to go into town or leave the area.

They are, I am told, traffic calming measures. :rolleyes: They may well be, but at the cost of safety!!

The 'cushions' vary between 2 or 3 across the road. The road in question is a main artery into town for the surrounding village residents. Bearing in mind that the pavements are not very wide, the sets with 3 acoss the road force you to drive very close to the pedestrians! Another problem is cyclists. Since the sets are so close, I find that I can't get past the pedal cyclists, without 'racing' them to the next set..

One of the measures I suggested which would be preferable, was the 'illuminating speed signs'.

There are some of those stupid things out side a school just past a road junction right were parents come and park to pick up their children.

It amazes me that no one has been involved in a serious accident because drivers are so busy watching the bumps that almost anything can happen. At school emptying time it is horrendous.

• 4 weeks later...

I like what the Spanish do in the single street towns out on the plains ....warning lights flash 20kph when passing through the town as you come in ...Come in too fast and all the lights on the road crossings will trip red .... start stop with red light jump cameras on all the lights ..come in on speed and they stay green ...giving you a quicker pass through ....brilliant..... a bit Pavlovian...but it works ...giving rise to good driving habits .