do I have adequate security for my system

eddski

I set up a computer for my parents and wanted to know if there is enough security for them to surf and keep the machine up and running. I have XP pro with avast home, windows defender and the free zone alarm firewall along with Firefox w/ noscript and adblock plus. I'm trying to keep it simple as to minimize the popups. I'm also using the Admin and limited user access controls( they DO NOT have admin rights). It is an older machine, hopefully to be updated soon. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to the forum eddski. A couple of useful additions that I use are:

AdAware from LAVASOFT ADAWARE FREE (make sure you download the simple free edition, not the Plus so-called "Free" edition).

SpyWare Blaster from JAVACOOL COOL FREE (ditto).

Both these will help to keep that pesky spyware and adware away & are used by many active members of this forum.

As with all security updates and Windows Vista itself, it is very important to keep them uptodate. I think all the this software, including those you already have installed, can be set to update automatically. which is probably the best way for your parents.

My view is that what you have already together with Dencandy's suggestions will be plenty protection for your machine.

Be careful not to overdo it such that the computer spends more time looking after itself rather than doing anything useful for you.

Assuming you've fitted the free avast! 4.8 there are a couple of things worth considering:-

1) avast! now includes malware coverage so there's less need for additional anti spyware progs.

2) Well worth going into Display properties and selecting the avast! antivirus screensaver. avast! will then run a sequential scan whenever the system is idle.

3) avast! can be password protected for additional security, just right click the tray icon.

4) It is possible to create a scheduled scan using Windows task scheduler click here for instructions.

In my opinion the amount of security should reflect the areas of the net most likely to be visited. If a user is into massive filesharing, warez or visiting sites of low moral probity you need to crank the security to the max. If however they're fairly normal and are going to use it for a bit of shopping and e-mail then you're pretty well covered.

PS I fully concur with the SpywareBlaster suggestion, because it's a passive measure that sets "Killbits" that prevent malware being installed in the first place, it doesn't have any system load at all. Top bit of kit but as the free version only has manual update, it may be worth paying for the full version that's automated. depends how PC savvy your parents are .

Regarding the above suggestion about the HOSTS file, eddski, since you say your parents have Windows Defender installed, I doubt that any other protection for the HOSTS file is necessary as Defender will warn them if an attempt is made to alter it.

(The HOSTS file is to do with the way a computer accesses websites & some malware can hijack it to redirect the computer to a milicious website).