Windows 7 Release Candidate Can Be Downloaded

bochiman

Windows 7 Release Candidate, an important milestone for the Microsoft’s next operating system, is available for download now to MSDN and TechNet subscribers, while the large public will have access to the Windows 7 RC starting with May 5, 2009. The Release Candidate marks the entry of the Windows 7 operating system into the final development stage and will deliver access to the broadest hardware and software offered by today’s industry.

Read More

I received an email yesterday from Microsoft thanking me for taking part in the beta testing of W7 and giving a link to download RC1. When the link is opened it goes to the Beta download and tells me it is no longer available.

Never mind, I'm sure it will be there soon. When it arrives updated, I'll post it.

Note, it wasn't me who did the Beta testing, it was my granddaughter.

I received an email yesterday from Microsoft thanking me for taking part in the beta testing of W7 and giving a link to download RC1. When the link is opened it goes to the Beta download and tells me it is no longer available.

Never mind, I'm sure it will be there soon. When it arrives updated, I'll post it.

Note, it wasn't me who did the Beta testing, it was my granddaughter.

What was her assessment of it?

I'll ask when I see her.

My own opinion is that it is better than Vista but still bloated with unnecessary addons.

What I want is a fast, lean O/S to which I can add my own software as and when I want.

Note: you can now download RC1 at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

I'll ask when I see her.

My own opinion is that it is better than Vista but still bloated with unnecessary addons.

What I want is a fast, lean O/S to which I can add my own software as and when I want.

Note: you can now download RC1 at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Ditto. :D XP takes some beating.

We (Kristie and me) have now downloaded RC1 and installed it on the test machine.

In common with all Windows versions, it doesn't have its own antivirus and it recommends Norton, AVG and Kaspersky. I didn't want any of those and I tried to install DriveSentry. Blue screen! DS installed OK on the Beta but not on this one.

I can't give a reasoned comment on W7 but, my thoughts so far is that Windows is getting more "toy-like" than its predecessors. I didn't like Vista because of that and this one is even worse. Windows is becoming less and less a useful machine, more and more an all in one entertainment system. It has pretty screens and optical effects which is all very well for what it seems to be moving towards but as a work tool, it's very disappointing.

It's not nearly as easy to get past its pretty facade and into the "useful parts" as it was with earlier versions, including Vista. This, for me, is a negative.

Kristie (granddaughter) was brought up with XP. She doesn't like Vista and is very dubious as to whether her negative opinion of W7 will improve.

All in all (so far) I'm glad that I bought a extra few copies of XP while it was still available.

I have to disagree there pops, most users will not want to ever try to find the useful parts, so eye candy and functionality are all they are after and this RC seems to fit the bill.

After running the first beta, I found it very reliable, now we will see how it gets on in the long term.

I'm sure you're right, Alan. Most consumers will want a highly decorated piece of eye candy. It's just that it's not for me (nor, it seems, my granddaughter - which is surprising).

I appreciate my thoughts are not those of the majority which is why, now, I've given up Beta testing as I realised in earlier assessments I did on what became W98, ME and a bit on XP that I was not going with the flow of opinion.

I also agree that the Beta of W7 was quite reliable and it came as a disappointment to get a blue screen a few minutes after installation on the RC1.

Interesting point, Pat. The Release Candidate is described as Window 7 Ultimate which suggests, as in Vista and to a lesser extent in XP, that there will be multiple versions so it is possible that a stripped down Business version is in the pipeline.

There is an awful lot of fancy bits and icing to remove before I would have positive thoughts about it, though.

why would i want something that will restart my computer every 2hours? it says that after march 1 2009 it will restart your computer every 2 hours

It is free to test, not free forever, if it was free forever Microsoft would have no income.

Two two hour restart is in 2010 not 2009. That gives almost a year to assess the virtues of the of the O/S and to help MS put the final touches to it.

Don't forget, this Release Candidate is to help MS with their development and is a way to get their work done cheaply, or for free, by having volunteers to test the Beta versions and RCs for them. Far better and cheaper than them employing multitudes of highly paid engineers and it introduces the new systems to the public. Even so, the method is not infallible as proved by the almost inevitable Service Packs that are issued sooner or later to correct bugs in the systems.

A word of warning for any one who replaces XP/Vista with W7, when you install W7, (either to update from the previous beta or Vista or XP), it will back up your entire OS install.

When I did a clean install, it backed up the whole of the previous Beta install, which equated to 52GB's.

Thsi file is called windows.old, and can be deleted if you want to.

I agree with others who mainly want an operating system that's effective and stable, rather than lots of eye-candy. So I'll wait and see till the product is officially launched for the general public.

But thanks to those who are putting W7 RC through its paces.

I agree with others who mainly want an operating system that's effective and stable, rather than lots of eye-candy. So I'll wait and see till the product is officially launched for the general public.

But thanks to those who are putting W7 RC through its paces.

Even then I can see NO NEED to update until such time as you have a new computer. :D