Windows 7 RC Booting Time: 16.4 Seconds

bochiman

Due to the fact that Windows 7 RC official version is free to download for everyone, now a comparison can be made between booting time values corresponding to Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 Release Candidate.

On the same machine having an Intel Celeron CPU E1200 working at a frequency of 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD, we have measured a booting time for Windows 7 Release Candidate of 16.4 seconds, while Windows 7 Beta booting time was of 21.42 seconds (Windows XP booting time is over 30 seconds). Windows 7 Release Candidate not only boots faster than the previous version, but is also shows lower time of response in case of common actions, like opening a window, running an installed program or for the computer shut down process.

Read More

Due to the fact that Windows 7 RC official version is free to download for everyone, now a comparison can be made between booting time values corresponding to Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 Release Candidate.

On the same machine having an Intel Celeron CPU E1200 working at a frequency of 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD, we have measured a booting time for Windows 7 Release Candidate of 16.4 seconds, while Windows 7 Beta booting time was of 21.42 seconds (Windows XP booting time is over 30 seconds). Windows 7 Release Candidate not only boots faster than the previous version, but is also shows lower time of response in case of common actions, like opening a window, running an installed program or for the computer shut down process.

Read More

Wow, that means over thirteen seconds saved over XP, which we can spend getting on with something else. How much will it cost, I can hardly wait? :lol:

Reading the report, that's booting only the bare operating system. I'd like to know the boot time in a realistic situation where, say, anti-virus/adware & firewall utilities are also loaded, an internet connection made, and items like that. Any tests done along those lines?

Reading the report, that's booting only the bare operating system. I'd like to know the boot time in a realistic situation where, say, anti-virus/adware & firewall utilities are also loaded, an internet connection made, and items like that. Any tests done along those lines?

Is it really that important? We have previously had a discussion on nano seconds saved and what to do with them. :D

It takes my test computer 34 seconds to boot to a usable desktop, as against 50 seconds for XP Home.

Those who ridicule the attention being paid to the time saved with the new OS should give some thought to us old 'uns. Every second is precious when you don't have many left.

I will bank the 17 seconds a day I will save until I have enough to have a nice snooze one afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...