Google's Chrome OS

Hb_Kai

When opening Flock today and browsing through the news feeds to see if there's anything interesting to read I found an interesting article written by CNET news explaining Google's Chrome OS a little bit more and comparing it to Linux and Windows which actually does seem rather interesting.

So I thought I'd share it...

What Chrome OS has on Windows that Linux doesn't

Seems a little bit like that Virtual Windows project, whatever its name was.

When opening Flock today and browsing through the news feeds to see if there's anything interesting to read I found an interesting article written by CNET news explaining Google's Chrome OS a little bit more and comparing it to Linux and Windows which actually does seem rather interesting.

So I thought I'd share it...

What Chrome OS has on Windows that Linux doesn't

Seems a little bit like that Virtual Windows project, whatever its name was.

hmm ...embedded tracking in there somewhere you think ?

It would appear that most experts predict that Chrome will have a greater effect on Linux than on Windows. It is in fact a linux based OS and it is thought that those who are tempted to move to linux in future are likely to be influenced by Google being a well respected brand. Not many people have heard of Ubuntu etc.

I doubt that anyone at Microsoft is losing any sleep over it.

I think you may be wrong ...Aho

be a lot of entry level lappy and net book manufactures picking up on this

It must cause them some worry , particularly in the sales dept

I think you are wrong there, several of my friends (yes I do have some. :rolleyes: ), have brought there netbooks to me to have XP put on them, as they say this OS is just not Windows. :lol:

And on other forums there were lots of people complaining about the Linus OS when the netbooks first came out because they could not understand why you could not run Microsoft programs on them.

I have one of the first Asus 701 models and in my opinion if they had enabled the KDE interface instead of trying to make it so simple they would have been better of as it looks more like XP.

I had a netbook with Linux and an 8 GB hard drive. It was OK for basic office programmes, Email and web browsing but refused to run a lot of software designed for Windows. In particular my Garmin sat-nav mapping, Paint Shop and my Panasonic camera graphics.

I eventually sold it and bought another netbook with a 160 GB hard drive and XP installed - which is fine. Most people now spend the extra £40 to £50 and get themselves a "proper" netbook with more storage, memory and Windows. It's what they are familiar with and this trend is likely to continue. Only 6% of netbooks being sold have Linux.

Google will have an uphill struggle to break the solid Windows consumer base.

But I think Google have a better start than Linux does through selling this new operating system. A lot more people know what Google is and a lot of people don't know what Linux is.

I think people would like to try the operating system that their favourite search engine made rather than something with some random name that they know absolutely nothing about.