A new approach to security

Dencandy

I thought this article from the New Scientist was interesting because it outlines a different approach to trying to make the World Wide Web more secure: New Scientist. Since all internet connections must go through an ISP, if ISPs took a much more proactive role in scanning all data before passing it on, the spread of malicious data through the WWW would be much hindered. Also, since there are far fewer ISP nodes in the web than there are computers at the end of each connection, the task of keeping up-to-date with signatures and behaviour-based detections would be much easier. It would be liking having one water treatment plant for the entire district supply, rather than every household having to treat their own water supply on an individual basis.

We'd still need our own individual anti-malware software, however, because of the dangers of infections via disks and USB drives.

Any comments?

I will admit to not understanding exactly how their idea would operate so can only say that I welcome any effective means to combat web infections - if this one would work - then bring it on.

I have a feeling however that to get all ISP's to cooperate will prove more than difficult - if not impossible - because there are financial costs involved and a risk of cutting off innocent customers.

I will admit to not understanding exactly how their idea would operate so can only say that I welcome any effective means to combat web infections - if this one would work - then bring it on.

I have a feeling however that to get all ISP's to cooperate will prove more than difficult - if not impossible - because there are financial costs involved and a risk of cutting off innocent customers.

DITTO. :D

Once you give the power of censorship to anyone it is another opportunity for the wielding of control by the back door. We are getting too much of this at present.

The only solution to all this problem is voluntary conformance with commonly agreed standards and values, with non-conformance resulting in punitive measures that reallymake the risk not worthwhile, and enforce the punitive side.