Fastest & Lightest Linux Distro

Coreper

hi,

I'm searching for the fastest and lightest Linux Distro [or another good OS].

I would like to install it on my notebook, next to Windows Vista and OSX86.

It needs to be able of handling popular file formats, and i would like to be able of surfing the web, fast and safe.

Please let me know if you know a good Linux distro [or another good OS]

btw: please dont recommend old OSs like Windows 95 :S

Thanks in advance!

I have used DSL and Puppy before. If all you want is to browse the web then they are okay.They are often low on applications though.

I prefer Crunch-Bang Linux. It's based on Ubuntu but way faster and the interface is simply great. ideal for small computers. Though all its default applications have a small footprint , it has access to most (maybe all) of Ubuntu's application. Highly recommended ,

after testing Crunchbang linux [which seems nothing faster as Ubuntu] and thinking of which distro i would use..

i decided to stick with Ubuntu :P

but instead of updating to the slow version of Ubuntu [9.10] ill stick with the fast version :P [9.4] :D

thanks for all the advices :)

the reason i chose for ubuntu?

its much more user friendly, and it looks much better, than the rest :P

• 2 months later...

after testing Crunchbang linux [which seems nothing faster as Ubuntu] and thinking of which distro i would use..

but instead of updating to the slow version of Ubuntu [9.10] ill stick with the fast version :P [9.4] :D

You could try spri, it's based on Ubuntu but with Icewrm, only thing is it's still in beta. It's great for older computers. I love it, it saved the life of my 11 year old IBM aptiva with its pentium 3 and 192MB of RAM and runs like new now.

www.sprilinux.com

You could try spri, it's based on Ubuntu but with Icewrm, only thing is it's still in beta. It's great for older computers. I love it, it saved the life of my 11 year old IBM aptiva with its pentium 3 and 192MB of RAM and runs like new now.

www.sprilinux.com

Would it run on my old Sinclair ?

• 3 months later...

To run your media files open applications>accessories>terminal and paste the following code -

apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

It will download and install a few packages, and you'll be ready to go.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I use linux Debian for all my servers. I've joined this forum trying to help anyone whom maybe has any concerns or doubts in Linux. First of all, We may considerate the use of it. For use in a notebook,

The system is very wide and intuitive, secure and good looking. If anyone has any questions or doubt about it, please feel free to email me any time.

It also has a version that could be installed on "netbooks" like Acer, Dell, etc.