Have I Been Hacked ?

AlanHo

It is my practice to first look at my Email headers using webmail and delete all spam before I open Outlook Express

This morning there was a message from the Blueyonder system administrator stating that I had sent undeliverable mail.

The mystery is that I have not sent any Email today - I switched my computer on at 0710 this morning and downloaded my Emails withing a few minutes. This does not correspond with the times in the message which is as follows :-

Your message

To: monroe brod

Subject: This is for REAL

Sent: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:47:46 +0100

did not reach the following recipient(s):

[email protected] on Wed, 3 Sep 2003 06:25:04 +0100

The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved

to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the

address. Check the address and try again.

allowed - VS99-IP1 deferred - see

help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-02.html (#5.7.1)>

There are two attachments to the message which I have not opened called :-

ATT00055.dat (260 bytes)

This is for REAL (1.38kb)

Can any of our experts suggest how this situation can arise and is the message possibly dangerous. For your info I use Windows XP home and the XP firewall plus McAfee anti virus and IE6/OE6.

I am concerned that my computer has sent out a message I don't know about or the message is not genuine and an attempt to dupe me into opening an attachment out of curiosity.

It is possible that someone who has your name in their address book has one of the variants of the Sobig virus, these spoof the 'from' address using details in the address book of the infected PC.

But I would certainly run an antivirus check on your own pc and delete the incoming message.

Never take warnings , even from friends, about viruses serious in emails.

Never.

Just update your AV regularly, preferabley everyday and make sure it's a good AV too.

Wise words from the youngest on the forum. I use Mailwasher, and anything even slightly dubious when I look at it on the servers site is NOT downloaded, but deleted and blacklisted there and then.