Adobe Flash Player / Shockwave Player...

Irene

I'm not clear about the differences - our computers are loaded with just the Flash Player and I have yet to be presented with a website that demands shockwave. I sometimes go onto web sites and they ask me to download an active X control for Windows media Player before the video will work - but I guess that is possibly not related.

If I were you I would install Flash Player - if Shockwave is ever required it will be obvious by a particular site not working and you can install it then.

I believe that shockwave was developed as a means of streaming video and games written in adobe director - but its use is now concentrated into certain on-line games. I googled for this info and have no idea what I am talking about............... :rolleyes:

This subject is not only confusing for end users (who have to install the players), but also for developers. I do spend some of my time in the Flash Player & Shockwave Player forums, and I have often seen the problem that a user goes to a certain website, and is then prompted to install Flash Player. User thinks that s/he already has Flash Player, but goes and installs the latest version. Returning to that website will prompt again to install Flash Player. Oftentimes it turns out that it is actually Shockwave Player that is required, but the prompt is wrong. (I don't know if the prompt is actually issued by the website code, or by the Shockwave object itself.)

So if you ever come to a situation where you are prompted to install Flash Player, but already have it, install Shockwave Player. I have both, and it doesn't do any harm.

Check if you have Shockwave Player, and/or Flash Player installed: