Thanks for the design flaw, Windows 7

fmw

I don't know what these guys were thinking. Windows 7 will only access a shared printer if A. the printer is connected to a switch or router as a print server or B. is shared by a computer on a "homegroup." Sorry, no "homegroups" on Windows XP. My main network printer is a Laserjet 4200 which has no networking capabilities. It is and has to stay attached to an XP machine. My one Windows 7 computer can't access it. I'm actually going to have to delete Windows 7 and re install Vista on that machine. I don't know what gets into these people. How hard would it have been to support older Windows networks?

You must remember, fmw, that Microsoft does not operate for your benefit, no matter what they might say.

If they made things universally compatible, and without flaws, they would never sell any new promises of a bright new world.

But then isn't that why we are all still floundering in The Slough of Despond.

You must remember, fmw, that Microsoft does not operate for your benefit, no matter what they might say.

If they made things universally compatible, and without flaws, they would never sell any new promises of a bright new world.

That's very strange - I have a printer connected to my Win7 desktop and my Windows XP netbook has no problem accessing it over my wireless network - and I don't use Homegroup.

Yeah. Theoretically, since Win 7 is just a new version of Vista and since Vista had no problem navigating a printer on an XP machine, one would surmise that it would have been less work for them to leave the compatibility there.

That's very strange - I have a printer connected to my Win7 desktop and my Windows XP netbook has no problem accessing it over my wireless network - and I don't use Homegroup.

Of course. XP has no problem navigating to a printer attached to and shared by another printer. It is Win 7 that has the problem. Put the printer on the XP machine and try to print from the Win 7 machine. Then you will see the problem.

I have not much experience with Windows 7, but isn't Homegroup the same as Workgroup? Just another name?

No, I'm afraid not. It's a new facility designed to make printing "easier" as well as photo sharing etc. It isn't just a normal Windows workgroup. There is a description of the facility on the Microsoft site.

In my typical curious, exploratory fashion, I decided to hook a printer directly to the Windows 7 machine. I hauled a current model HP Laserjet 2055 (small USB and ethernet laser printer) upstairs and plugged it into a USB port on the Win 7 computer. According to the documentation, printers connected to USB ports are supposed to be automatically installed by Windows 7. There is an "add printer" function but it specifically excludes printers connected directly to a USB port. Well Windows 7 did not detect or install the printer. When I tried the "add printer" function it wouldn't work either. Finally I connected the printer to an ethernet switch and, at last, Windows 7 was able to deal with it. The "add printer" function did work for connecting to a print server on the network. The other computer in that office is a Linux machine and it connected just fine to the print server as well so at least I have printing facilities there. I was going to dump 7 and reinstall Vista but this little laser printer will be adequate for the Win 7 machine. I'll leave it as it is and continue to explore 7. Personally, I still think XP was Microsoft's best operating system ever. Vista took some functionality and configurability away but was still not bad albeit overly graphical in my view. 7 is just too "automatic" and self configuring for me. I feel completely out of control with it. That isn't comforting for me. After decades of managing networked printers on about any networking scheme you can name, I'm stumped with this one.

Alan, you said you have a printer connected to a Win 7 machine. Did it do as advertised and install itself automatically when you plugged it in? It sure didn't on my machine.

I have 2 x W7 machines, 1 x Vista, 1 x XP Pro. These are connected to three printers: 1 x HP1018 (USB), 1 x HP 7310 (Ethernet) and 1 x Epson R265 (USB).

All printers respond as they should do from any computer. The only thing I had to do was install up-to-date drivers for the HP1018 as it is quite ancient.