Queries about Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition and Client Firewall

emil_lam

Hi,

My computer have Symantec Norton Antivirus Corporate Version 10.1.4.400 & Symantec Client Firewall Version 8.7.4.79 installed. My system administrator told me that Symantec's antivirus software were among the worst commercial product in the market. Was my friend's comment true(His company used F-Secure product)? How F-Secure antivirus & internet security products compared to Symantec?

How Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition differs from other non-Corporate Edition (e.g. Norton AntiVirus 2007,2008)?

Tks!

Symantec/Norton products cause lots of people lots of grief.

Personally, I would never have any Symantec product installed in any of my computers. I think most of the regular members here think in the same way.

One of the biggest problems with the brand is that once installed, they are all but impossible to remove.

I was a great fan on Norton until it would not update one day, telling me that I needed to download and install something else first. When I tried this it told me that I had to update first. It took ages to find out how to e mail them. They gave me links to various tools, none of which did the trick, and eventually put one of their so called tech experts on my case. After several hours of work, including editing the registry, I eventually got rid of it, or I thought I had. He told me to reinstall it at that point, but I bought Nod 32 instead. Even after all that lot, I occasionally got pop ups asking me to update Norton. Only a full format and re installation of Windows got completely rid of it for good. Some on here use various free security suites, but even then post occasional problems. I have NEVER EVER had a single problem with Nod 32 security suite in the past few years. It does not cost the earth, and updates automatically several time per day. I would not be without it, the choice is yours. Free is all well and good until a problem arises and help is difficult to find. Nod even have telephone help at a normal rate call cost in the UK. The choice as I say is yours.smile.gifsmile.gif

P.S. By the way, if you register and sign in to the Virus Bulletin, you can compare all available products. You will see that Nod have a record to be envied.smile.gif

I'll play devils advocate :-

Pro

Norton is a much improved product, having finally addressed it's ridiculous system hog tendencies of a few years ago.

It gets reasonable results at Virus Bulletin.

Anti

Having said this my main gripe is the one andsome encountered, they will sell update signatures to obsolete software, leaving the user under the erroneous delusion they're paying for protection and when it predictably fails to deal with a new problem, Symantec are ridiculously unhelpful.

It's also as has been stated frequently near impossible to prize off your system.

So it'll do the job, but I still wouldn't touch it as there are options like avast! and NOD that'll do a far better job without leaving you up the creek devoid of paddle.