Guest LB

Do you wear a seatbelt on every journey - front or back  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a seatbelt on every journey - front or back

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Every
    • Never in the back

A stark new road safety campaign is highlighting the risks people take when they don't wear a seatbelt.

The law requires people to wear a seatbelt if one is fitted, but figures show that nearly one in ten drivers and front seat passengers don't belt up. More people are wearing seatbelts in the back of cars, but around four in ten adults still don't.

The Department for Transport estimates that around ten people travelling in front seats are killed every year by unbelted rear seat passengers hitting them in a crash.

The new campaign includes an advert graphically depicting a road accident and an online crash simulator that demonstrates the effects of crashing with and without a seatbelt.

Transport Minister Tony McNulty said:

"Too many drivers and passengers still fail to wear a seatbelt. This campaign continues our thought-provoking publicity to try and convince them of the need to belt up - even on short trips.

"Wearing a seatbelt can save your life - I hope our new campaign will be a powerful reminder to those who seem to forget."

The new advert is the latest in the Government's £14m Think road safety campaign. The total number of road deaths in 2002 was 3,341 - down three per cent from 2001.

Worn my seat belt for so many years now it's force of habit to click it on. I also upset people I give lifts to by refusing to move off until they have also clicked on. Don't feel at all nerdish or embarrassed about it. :rolleyes:

post-8-1063036435.gif

Guest spikeychris

Hate to admit it but I'm one of them morons you see on the road who doesn't wear a seat belt. Why, well I just hate them I like to move freely in my car. I force my kids to wear theirs, even in the back.

Guest Nellie2
Hate to admit it but I'm one of them morons you see on the road who doesn't wear a seat belt. Why, well I just hate them I like to move freely in my car. I force my kids to wear theirs, even in the back.

No lectures here.......... but what are your kids going to do for a dad when the other moron rams into your car even though you were driving very safely. What are they going to do when your skull is smashed in against the windshield.

I always wear mine.

Always and like doug I wont budge untill all else do too.

But then just after I passed my test my friend and I used to take turns driving to collage. On one Wednesday I decided to throw a sickie.... and Fred drove in by himself no seatbelt.... or almost drove there. He swerved to miss a deer and het an oak tree. Threr were no major injuries just 2 years of plastic surgery to rectify the scaring on his face.

Scared the hell out of me....still does.

Worn my seat belt for so many years now it's force of habit to click it on. I also upset people I give lifts to by refusing to move off until they have also clicked on. Don't feel at all nerdish or embarrassed about it.  :rolleyes:

With you 100% there Doug. Last winter I was giving several people a lift to an away bowls match. One clever d*** said he never wears a seat belt, after several minutes during which I refused to drive, he relented when one of the other passengers suggested that he left my car and forgot about the match. Afterwards, the other passengers congratulated me on standing my ground.