Windows media player OLD VERSION

Hi all,

I had to have my HD formatted and in the process, i lost windows media player. The version that had a black screen, instead of the blue one that media player has now.

I forget the version number of the media player but it was able to play more than 10 videos at once in different players. Each player could be resized. I looked at the list of players at the "download older versions of windows media player" sites and i can't see the player i want to have again.

It must be a ver 3 or 4. Can anyone help me, please? I really dislike the new windows media players.

Thanks,

robbieD

WMP is included in Windows versions so, if you had the same version re-installed as you had before then the old version should be also there. Check with whoever did the re-install.

If you had a newer version of Windows as replacement for your old one than it may be that old versions of WMP are not compatible.

WMP is included in Windows versions so, if you had the same version re-installed as you had before then the old version should be also there. Check with whoever did the re-install.

If you had a newer version of Windows as replacement for your old one than it may be that old versions of WMP are not compatible.

Hi,

Thanks.

Actually, the WMP version i had was not from the XP Home version.

I just re-found it, after posting my previous post in here.

The version i had, lost, wanted to find, and now, just found again is now called, Windows Media Player Classic. That's the one i wanted.

It's okay, now. I got it.

Thanks for trying to help, anyway.

Have a great day,

robbieD

Hi,

Oh no, I thought it downloaded but i didn't download it, it seems. I am back at square one, now.

Help, anyone?

And no, pops, it did not come with XP, i had it long before. It was easy to find before in the past.

BUt now i see that when i try to look for a Windows Media Player download, a bunch of other player downloads all pop up confusing the situation.

Damn,

robbieD

A pedantic point, possibly but, Media Player Classic is not Windows Media player. It is produced by an independent company, nothing to do with Microsoft.

Following the link given by Boris, you can also obtain Real Alternative and Quick Time Alternative for those of us that don't want these intrusive, resource hogging programs on our machines (including me).

Select the appropriate version for your O/S from here :-
/>http://www.free-codecs.com/media_player_classic_download.htm

Hi Boris,

Thank you so much!

Download [ Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 [2010.02.14] for Win2000/NT/XP/Vista/7 ]

I clicked on a link that seemed to be the best choice and it was. So cool.

The version of WMP i had, was by microsoft though, only a much older version than what is available today. The version i had was not called MP classic. It clearly read Windows Media Player, and it looked and works just like the MP classic does (minus the colorful 123 on the screen).

I am happy to have this media player again.

Thanks again,

robbieD

Hi again,

In my search for this media player, i came across a download for a VLC player. I thought it was what i wanted.

So i downloaded it and it was not what i wanted.

Now, because i installed the thing, i have all of these little orange and white triangular pile-ons on my desktop. I tried to remove the player in the control panel (add/remove programs) but there was no such program there to delete even though it's definately installed on the PC somewhere.

Anyone know where i can find the location where the VLC player might have installed itself on my HD so i can delete it?

Thanks,

robbieD

Hi again,

Well the media player classic i downloaded does not really download onto the pc, you have to download it from a link each time to make it work. It does not have a replay/loop option, either, so i don't like it. It "looks" somewhat like the player i am trying to find because it has the "black screen" but it's not the same one.

Also, the VLC player i downloaded does not show up in the add/removes programs, that's why i am asking

where it might have downloaded itself.

I had an older verson of the VLC player, too. The one i just downloaded, thinking it was the one i had before, stinks.

All it did was change all my video icons into orange and white triangles, AND it does not play the all videos. Some vids report back saying this video can't be played, or something like that.

I don't know why they always change how things look or work. It's like a completely different thing, sometimes.

Regards,

robbieD

Older versions of Windows Media Player :-
/>http://www.oldversion.com/Windows-Media-Player.html

WMP 6.1 was released way back in 1998 - for Win 95/98. Anything older than that would not run on a modern O/S.

If what you are downloading/installing has not actually installed properly, it would appear that there is a fault in your actual Windows Operating system. Presumably you are running XP Home ? Did you install it properly ?