Message that says "Script still Running"

johnoo

When I go into a certain website, it happens to be that of a reputable newspaper, I got a message saying "Script still running if you do not clear your computer may slow down" or words to that effect.

I answered Yes I want the script to stop running, but on going into the web site again the same message occured.

I have run AVG and Malware scans and no problems reported.

Also when I last went into the web site I did not get the message.

But I would like to know what caused it, any ideas in simple language?

If it's only one website that does this, it suggests the site is at fault.

Don't retain the idea that because a newspaper claims to be reputable that they know everything about how to design a web page.

Try different browsers to see if fault still occurs.

Web designers tend not to favour Internet Explorer too much these days. (IE6 hardly at all)

If that is what you are using it could be the problem. There may have been a change to the website that was not fully tried out on all available browsers.

A different browser can sometimes show the problem up.

John.

What browser are you using?

What is the website URL that issues that message?

What is the exact message you are getting?

I am using IE8

The web site is :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Can't remember the exact message, but it's appoximatly as my words in first post.

Since yesterday I have not got the message again, so could it have been a random error on the web site?

I've not seen that specific message you were getting but script errors are invariably the fault of the originator of the web page and not a fault of your computer.

To avoid seeing script error notifications in the future:

In IE click on Tools (the gear wheel top right or Alt + x).

Click on Advanced. Under Settings, Browsing check that "Disable script debugging" is ticked (for IE and any other browsers you have) and check that "Display a notification about every script error" is UNticked.

I've not seen that specific message you were getting but script errors are invariably the fault of the originator of the web page and not a fault of your computer.

To avoid seeing script error notifications in the future:

In IE click on Tools (the gear wheel top right or Alt + x).

Click on Advanced. Under Settings, Browsing check that "Disable script debugging" is ticked (for IE and any other browsers you have) and check that "Display a notification about every script error" is UNticked.

Pops,

Thanks for the help.

I should have said that I use IE8 provided by Yahoo, but I have gone into the Tools Menu and under Advanced the Browser settings were as you suggested.

So i think we can't do anymore!

It is their problem. I've checked with my son who is professionally involved with all things graphic and he says it is sloppy script writing possibly by some "clever clogs" trying to use HTML from scratch and doesn't really know what he/she is doing.

I can understand why News and many other sites are dynamically created by scripts, rather than old-fashioned, hard-coded HTML. You cannot expect the editors to write their stuff in HTML every day; all the text, pictures and videos are entered via some sort of editor, then the JavaScripts take over and arrange the web pages dynamically.

However, when the scripting becomes too heavy - that is when you see messages like this popping up.