Store dialogue box settings

Hello Windows Forum!

Q: Does anybody know of a way to keep certain dialogue box settings the same? The original problem I was having was changing the paper from A4 to A3 every time I needed to print a drawing in the office I work in. This problem I was able to solve by changing the settings in the printer driver. However I often come across small changes that I'm making hundred of times a day and I'd love to learn how to get them to stick.

For example, when I select 'File'>'Save As' in Word I'd like to keep the 'Save as type:' as *.doc instead of *.docx.

My fairly limited knowledge leads to to believe that each of these settings is called up from within the registry, so is it just a matter of finding a way to determine the registry key/string/binary and change the value or am I going in the wrong direction?

Regards,

Alexander Dunnett

Hello Alexander, welcome to the forum. :)

Assuming that you are using Office 2010, you can select the default 'save' format by touching the File tab > Options > Save > Save files in this format (see below):

post-5852-0-67609100-1322122967_thumb.pn post-5852-0-39083500-1322122969_thumb.pn

P.S. It would be useful if you could fill in the details of you soft & hardware in your profile.

Hello Alexander, welcome to the forum. :)

Assuming that you are using Office 2010, you can select the default 'save' format by touching the File tab > Options > Save > Save files in this format (see below):

post-5852-0-67609100-1322122967_thumb.pn post-5852-0-39083500-1322122969_thumb.pn

P.S. It would be useful if you could fill in the details of you soft & hardware in your profile.

Not being an expert but having had to sort out some problems with docx, isn't it an office 2007 problem

Everything should be backwards compatible but like that's ever going to happen. :P

I'm using Windows 7 32bit on a pretty standard machine, Office 2010 but I think the solution I'm looking for will likely work on earlier versions of Windows as well..

That does solve the particular problem I gave Irene, but I was looking for a more general solution. It's not just limited to dialogue boxes either, I'd also like to be able to do small things like when creating a new text document have the name come in as 'Notes.txt' instead of 'Untitled Text Document.txt' or when saving a PDF using CutePDF it would bring up the last folder it saved a file into instead of the desktop every time.

I have a feeling I want to know more about the registry, but maybe even then some of the problems might be out of reach.

Everything should be backwards compatible but like that's ever going to happen. :P

I'm using Windows 7 32bit on a pretty standard machine, Office 2010 but I think the solution I'm looking for will likely work on earlier versions of Windows as well..

That does solve the particular problem I gave Irene, but I was looking for a more general solution. It's not just limited to dialogue boxes either, I'd also like to be able to do small things like when creating a new text document have the name come in as 'Notes.txt' instead of 'Untitled Text Document.txt' or when saving a PDF using CutePDF it would bring up the last folder it saved a file into instead of the desktop every time.

I have a feeling I want to know more about the registry, but maybe even then some of the problems might be out of reach.

Somewhat out of my range, Alex. All the best with your project. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling I want to know more about the registry

The Windows registry is just an information repository; every application can use it as it wishes.

For some more technical articles regarding Office 2010 see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff458121.aspx