Symantec in the News Again

-pops-

Hi Guys I was just about to tell you about a Symantec Ghost on my Dell computer in their Dell System Restore the once only use this warning. Worked a treat. Is it available only to manufacturers - should be on all as last time I made a real mess of recovery and this time apart from getting in a pickle because forgot to plug in the old mouse and had to panic to find it as wireless mouse not working on finish it

went fine. Now just haved to get the programs I love back and get working or will run out of those extra dollars to make life bearable. :lol:

Saw this and have to say first Symaantec program I actually liked and could recommend particularly to Seniors. :D

Yep ! Ghost is still available.

http://symantec-nort...CFecmtAod7m6MKQ

Used to use it back in the days before Symantec went absolutely power mad and started to buy up and ruin a whole load of good software in the name of progress. They actually took on some freeware, incorporated into one of their "Suites" and turned the basic instructions into something quite unintelligible, and the pricing above the limit for the average user.

It was good as well ! - Altiris Software Virtualization Solution (SVS)

Easy to use. Nice little support forum. On-going development, free for home users. They (Symantec) soon stopped all of that. If ever a company could do with a new Marketing Director, and a new marketing strategy it has got to be Symantec.

Little wonder that they are under attack at the moment. - They have peed a lot of people off !

I think you can still download Altiris SVS, but I seem to remember that Symantec run you round in ever decreasing circles to register it !

http://www.freewareg...19/altiris-svs/

Yep ! Ghost is still available.

http://symantec-nort...CFecmtAod7m6MKQ

Used to use it back in the days before Symantec went absolutely power mad and started to buy up and ruin a whole load of good software in the name of progress.

I think you are referring to PowerQuest Drive Image which I used to use before Symantec bought it and, although I use Norton Ghost, I don't rate it as good.

On a few occasions, Norton Ghost has failed where as Drive Image never did in all the years I was using it !

Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it and will post it on Seniors Forum here - in case any manage to think about what they

will do if theirs goes troppo. Post a few bits and pieces re good programs but not many pick up or view the computer thread.

In August 1990 Symantec acquired Peter Norton Computing. Binary Research developed Ghost in Auckland, New Zealand. - In 2000 Symantec aquired Ghost.

It wasn't until 2003 that Power Quest sold out Drive Image to Symantec, and then in 2004 Symantec dropped the original "Ghost" altogether and started to market "Drive Image" as "Norton Ghost."

I used the old DOS Ghost with my little pack of floppies for a long time. Used the newer (2003) - "In Windows GUI" - for a while, and then finally settled on Acronis.

Even now Acronis are starting to bloat things out with "Cloud Backup" and a whole load of crap I will never use. Acronis ease of use and understandability from a point of view of teaching someone to use it is getting worse with each new version. Interface keeps changing............ mutter, mutter, moan, moan.

The "Norton Ghost" now on sale is closer to "Drive Image" than the original Ghost ( General Hardware-Oriented System Transfer ) I've experimented with VHD's ( Which is what 7 uses for System Image ) but you cant compress them enough for my liking.

Ghost of old always sends me back to this website for a bit of nostalgia:

http://ghost.radified.com/

Thanks for the post CW nice to see you.

John.