Problem re-installing Internet Explorer

doug

No.1 Daughter has had a major problem due to a malware infectio on her Win 7 PC and I need help finishing off the repair. She picked up the My Start and Incredibar.com infection some considerable time back, many months ago and doing roll back wouldn't work. So yesterday using remote assist I think I've managed to kill the infection using the following link http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-mystart-by-incredibar-virus/. Her Firefox installation now seems to be OK but big problems with Internet Explorer where the infection was first picked up. Have tried to delete and re-install but there is no sign of IE in the remove programs facility in the control panel neither can I find any installation using the find link. The problem is trying to install a fresh download of IE 9 - 64 I keep getting a message saying installation failed because there is a later version present. Don't use IE myself so I'm stumped but she has to have it for when she works from home because of compatibility with her office. She uses FF for everything else. I'm going over ther this afternoon so any help please?

Has she or you got a W7 disc that you can load a version of IE on her computer and then upgrade? as the download didnt work this probably won't but I would give it a go if it was me. I take it you did a clean with CCleaner and the registry

Along those lines how do I do just a re-install of Internet Explorer as I don't seem to be able to locate and remove the dregs of whatever is left on the PC? Especially as the downloaded IE 9 install file says there's a later version present that I can't locate?

If IE does not show in control panel - there must be some corruption in Windows 7 files.

I am assuming she does not have an Acronis or similar backup of her system - otherwise you would have restored from it. Lacking this resource you could spend many many fruitless hours "fiddling". A sure solution would be to reinstall Windows 7 and all her software (after ensuring she has a full back-up of all her data).

(The immediate next step would be to take an Acronis back up of her system onto an external hard drive) as a safety net for when she next gets crippling malware.

Yes have just come back from trying that but had problems telling it that I was logged in as an administrator. Have just rung daughter to say I've failed so it will have be a restore from her backup. As I pointed out the last backup was the one I did last April! So before the dreaded deed I've told her to think about all the essential files she may need since then. What a wasted couple of afternoons!

PS The backup is by Acronis andsome

Just for the record:

Booting from install media and running cmd within repair options will automatically put one in admin-mode. The drive is detatched and may be assigned a different drive letter: C: may become E: for example. If that be the case, one will need to run repairs on the drive that corresponds to the actual Windows partition. Otherwise, there may appear strange and myriad error or other msgs.

Toodles....

:hi:

Well some progress, At east she's up and running as of April last year and all her Thunderbird and Firefox files and folders are up to date, having extracted those before doing any re-install. At least she now has a pristine copy od Internet Explorer 9.0 - subject to any updates she may have to install to enable access to her works server.

I ran into problems, tried to to a remote access, she agreed to send me an e-mail with the login code for team viewer and leave the computer running so I could work on it from here but couldn't get access. So drove over to her - roads were OK - and found that her PC had gone into sleep mode and timed out. So started work there. Couldn't find the Acronis Trueimage 9.9 that I had given her. This I had purchased from the offer on here some time ago and installed it on here PC, having notified Acronis when I purchased an on-line copy of the 2010. I know it was installed but it wasn't there.GULP.

So I remembered having burnt a boot disc on her PC back in April last year and found it in the folder I had given her, sure it was a Trueimage boot disc. Anyway started it away and as it seemed as though it would take some time drove back home for lunch. Went back and it had finished so I rebooted nothing. Installed the original Win 7 disc and told it to do a repair option. It came up with a whole load of files it was repairing then when it finished did a re-boot and magic the Installation was OK, including the IE 9, so reinstalled the Mozilla files and all seems OK - until I get a panic phone call from her. Then did a Win 7 backup to her second installed drive.

My problem now is how can I get the Acronis 9.0 back? Hunted high and low back here but cannot find the original download. I do have a note of the activation key. I must her sorted regarding regular backups - don't we keep telling people this!