Advice required on setting up Acronis 2013

My Daughter have picked up a nasty infection which meant I had to re-install from her last backup - that I did for her April last year! . This wasn't easy because the infection had trashed the Acronis 9 application that I had installed as I was then using Acronis 2010. So I been and purchased Acronis 2013 - Family Pack which can be used on 3 PC's - ~£59. I'm doing this by remote assist (Teamviewer 7) so I can work from home and be close to Herself. 2 problems 1) she keeps forgetting so set up the link before going to work and 2) as I have found if a re-boot is required the assist link has to be setup each time. Now I'm nearly there and I want to configure her backup routines.

She's running Win7 x64 with a 500g primary, 1 tb secondary and a 400g external HDD. She uses the primary for applications and the secondary for data, The external drive is for backups. As this is permanently connected and switched on it could be vulnerable to attack. She uses Avast - free but as I found recently it's not 100% but it only trashed the primary drive.

So I'm looking for advice regarding the merits of full verses incremental backups. Are incremental backups quicker than the full ones etc. Does doing incremental ones slow the PC down significantly and is there much saving on space etc. etc. So any inputs gladly welcome as well as anything else you think may be of interest. I have got her using Mozbackup for her Firefox and Thunderbird applications but nothing for her Internet Explorer 9 where the problem started.

An incremental will be quicker but it leaves you with only one backup file to restore from. I much prefer to take a full backup each time and keep the last three files - deleting the oldest each time. If you take the backup at night and set it running when you go to bed - none of your valuable awake hours are wasted.

Am doing a backup of her data drive now. had several goes trying to select just her crucial data files. Last attempt gave and estimated 10 hours for completion. So cancelled that and just going for a simple full disk backup - at least she will have a second copy of it. latest estimate is ~1 hour. Will have to do further digging on this for the future.

Ideally you need a USB plug in external drive, the larger the better. Mine is 1TB. Many come with pre loaded software which is supposed to be useful, personally I would format the drive to NTFS uninstalling this software, and leaving all the space as useful.. larger still drives are also available now.