So for a long long time I've had problems with the Windows Installer service not being accessible and not letting me install things etc. However I remember I followed a guide to fix it and it just made things worse, the windows installer service was gone entirely.

I've not really bothered looking for a fix because it's just become strenuous and I didn't particularly need anything installed at the time. Now I do however, and I've no idea where to begin.

Some notes however. I use Windows Vista x64, but I didn't get an installation disc with my PC so I can't reformat it, nor do I know how to anyway.

Have you tried any of these other solutions ?

Method 1:

Start the Windows Installer service

1. Click Start, type Services.msc and press {ENTER}

2. Double-click Windows Installer

3. Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual

4. Click Start to start the service. Note down the error message if any.

5. Click OK.

Method 2:

Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer.

To do that follow the steps below.

1. Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. Even if you

do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.

2. Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. Even if you

do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass.

After you run this command, the operation is complete.

3. Try your Windows Installer-based application again.

Method 3:

Try performing SFC scan on the computer.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

[The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.]

A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time

3. If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Win7 DVD for this process to continue

4. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

5. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check

You could try downloading the Windows Installer from Microsoft and see if you can get that onto your operating system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

OR:

Download "Safe MSI" from here: http://www.windowsit...afe-mode--83387 Boot into safe mode, click on the executable and see if it starts the installer.

OR: (More likely)

For some reason the Windows installer (MSI) registry key has been wiped out.

(Never use System Mechanic or registry cleaners of any type)

Not saying that you have. - Just dont ! :)

OK Let's go. - Firstly make a backup of your registry, and make sure you know how to re-install it if necessary. I would suggest ERUNT for this, but it's up to you what you use.

Secondly. Download the file I have attached to this post. Unzip it, and then click on it to enter it into your registry. Reboot your computer. Look in "Services" - Windows installer should now be running.

Save the fix for the next time it happens.

WINDOWS VISTA INSTALLER FIX.zip

Ah Well ! - Use the factory reset and start with a clean install. It is taking far too long.

(Anything that takes me longer than an hour to fix gets wiped. Usually an indicator that the O/S / Registry has been frigged about with too much.)

I could be wrong, but It's up to you to make that decision now. :wacko:

Look up your computer model, and download a manual. That will tell you how to get back to Factory settings. You should have a partition set aside for just that. Dont forget to back up your data. And do make a system image in future.

Hope it all goes well, either by accident or design. :)