• 2 weeks later...

An interesting note on Office 2013 on the M$ blog site . I've never been much for the Microshaft view as they're a commercial enterprise charging what the market will bear. But going from a three copy transferable licence provided on a disk to a one copy non transferable that only comes as a download link for much the same price, sounds like them asking their clientèle to bend over, drop the trousers and take it up the posterior.

If you must use office, keep an eye out for 2010 or 365, much better value.

I tend to use my old Office 2000 Pro these days,

- but on any new machines I build/set up I usually install Kingsoft Office Free - it is quite light on resources, simple, includes a writer, spreadsheet and presentation (Powerpoint) tools and on install asks if you want to use the standard Nicrosoft fprmats as a default.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

You’ll need a computer running Windows 7 or Windows 8 to install Microsoft Office 2013. If you try to install Office 2013 with Windows XP or Windows Vista, it just won’t work. If you start to install Office 2013 on Windows XP or Windows Vista, you’ll see one of the following messages:

This is not a valid Win32 application

-or-

We are sorry, you couldn't install your Office product because you don't have a modern Windows operating system. You need Microsoft windows 7 (or newer) to install this product

Consider upgrading to Windows 7 or Windows 8. Or read more about Office 2013 requirements.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/why-cant-i-install-office-2013-on-windows-xp-or-windows-vista-HA103462811.aspx