Norton's Security package + SAS + Malwarebytes

First off Norton's was on the Motherboard disc the builder sent me to reinstall W7 Home Premium which btw is perfect now.

So as short of allowance knowing the 2GB+ a couple of weeks back to bring it up to date - installed it so had anti virus to start with then found it also was a firewall plus but doesn't have 'real time' on.

I also have SAS Pro which I usually have as a real time protectedbut not now

And Malawarebytes which is a boot usually but this time got the pro 30 days trial included.

So thinking don't want two clashing haven't turned on SAS. But now seems if Norton's not turned on also maybe wide open.

Busy setting up and it is a complicated program which is a bit more to handle as has all inclusive on protection.

I have 90 days with Norton's and if it is good better best will buy it - had it on first computer but every one said uses heaps but with this one have heaps to use :)

Then second problem scanned with Malawarebytes first off and it found 8 problems in Pup. So left them and scanned with SAS Pro and it only found a tracking cookie which is the usual thing it finds. Begging the question on these 2 which is the better? Hansome stands by SAS which s why I got it years back. Interesting eh first time found that and have pitted them against each other prior.

I don't mind buying the Malwarebytes pro down to 9 days if it works better.

But not a good judge being older so don't go where the nasties lurk in sites waiting for the unwary. So have never questioned only finding tracking cookies on SAS.

then again Comodo has a complete security package too which from using their firewall is not longer complicated as it once was for me a few years back, so dumped it or I am a bit more knowledgeable thanks mainly to help here.

Seems the days of separate bits for this and that ended and security packages are now the trend as completely researched and working.

So what to do ? I would be interested in opinions on these options. And Hansome on SAS :devil:

1. Buy complete package Either Comodo or Norton's. With me Comodo easier to understand and operate. But open to either.

2. stick with SAS and Malwarebytes and decide which to have real time.

3. Comodo Firewall as it really is easy t use and just about impenetrable the experts say.

Comodo is no 1 on freeware for firewalls and anti virus on some sites. And they give away lots of freeware these days to home users. Conclusion being they have sewn up a large slice of commercial market so can afford it.

:wub:

Norton went through a period when their software was a notorious resource hog. First off they simply tried denying it but that didn't work so they genuinely did a lot of work to fix it so now it's not too bad. On the down side it's always had the reputation of occasionally being a pig to remove, Norton had to host a variety of additional uninstall tools to prize the product from your pride and joy. Norton will also sell you signature updates to obsolete software and just shrug their shoulders when it doesn't work properly, simply saying "unsupported you should have updated the program mate" . That more than anything is why Norton trials still top the list of things to delete when I get my hands on a new PC. If you're happy to follow their route though it does the job.

Don't forget if you decide to go the single package route Comodo isn't the only free option for home use there's Outpost & ZoneAlarm

You do not need to pay for decent AV protection, AVG, AVast etc all have free versions, also Malwarebytes has a free version, so why pay.

On windows 7 the firewall is good so you do not need an extra one.

To be even safer install Microsoft security essentials which is free and gets reasonable write ups.

To remove Norton completely follow this guide.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/

Even with the above advice I wish you well in removing Norton. I once had update problems with it and just could not completely remove all traces even with their help. I still used to get the occasional message to update the dreaded Norton. Finally I got rid of it it by completely reinstalling Windows. The only sure way.

Norton went through a period when their software was a notorious resource hog. First off they simply tried denying it but that didn't work so they genuinely did a lot of work to fix it so now it's not too bad. On the down side it's always had the reputation of occasionally being a pig to remove, Norton had to host a variety of additional uninstall tools to prize the product from your pride and joy. Norton will also sell you signature updates to obsolete software and just shrug their shoulders when it doesn't work properly, simply saying "unsupported you should have updated the program mate" . That more than anything is why Norton trials still top the list of things to delete when I get my hands on a new PC. If you're happy to follow their route though it does the job.

Don't forget if you decide to go the single package route Comodo isn't the only free option for home use there's Outpost & ZoneAlarm

thanks for links to Outpost etc as didnt know they did free also, will take a look and try out one which seems easy to operate.