Windows 8.1 "Black bar at top of screen"

johnoo

To start thanks for all of the efforts to help.

Re add ons, the only 3 are Microsoft Shockwave flash object/Logitech Setpoint (Keyboard type)/Java Plug In

Re Programs in Control Panel, do any of these look strange?

1 Cyberlink Power DVD 10

2 Intel APP Up

3 Nitro Pro 7

4 Power DVD Create

5 Sugar Sync manager - I think this looks strange

My problem is I don't want to uninstall & cause other problems!!

PS What does Boris mean by "Hijack" as AVG/Malwarebytes pick nothing up?

By hijack, I mean that I don't get any ads like that at all - neither here, nor on the original page you posted.

Do you have any "strange" toolbars installed ?

Lenovo pre-install trial versions of Nitro Pro 7 + Sugar Sync - they can be safely uninstalled (unless you intend to pay for/use them.

Start by again saying thanks to all for the efforts put in to help solve my problem

Think I have cleared it by uninstalling "Think Vantage Password manager" that comes with Lenovo machines

Also as Boris has suggested it I have uninstalled Nitro Pro 7 & Sugar Sync manager

Start by again saying thanks to all for the efforts put in to help solve my problem

Think I have cleared it by uninstalling "Think Vantage Password manager" that comes with Lenovo machines

Also as Boris has suggested it I have uninstalled Nitro Pro 7 & Sugar Sync manager

I usually make use of PC Decrapifier to get rid of all the pre-installed crud and trial versions before setting up PCs/laptops for people.

If you do it "straight out of the box", you always have a fall back because the Recovery Partition will install it afresh for you if you have a bad day and press the delete button for something you actually wanted :)

Diagnosing problems like johnoo had are always easier if you have the actual machine to play with - attempts at "remote" analysis as we do here can be very time consuming