Filled up my Windows 8.1 500GB hard drive from hard use

AS pops says, transfer as much as possible to external drives. Personally I believe in making sure that I don't lose photos etc by using a small external hard drive, PLUS backing them up further to duplicated memory sticks. This may seem over the top, but I know that I will not lose anything. I have another more powerful external drive on which I keep regular system back ups. These are further duplicated on a second internal hard drive. There is nothing like being safe rather than sorry.

I have all of my Documents, Pictures, etc on an external USB drive.

The programs only take up half of the hard drive.

The other half is cookies and other junks I have accumulated over the years.

Other earlier windows versions gave you tools to delete internet files, defrag, etc.

What I am looking for more all encompassing of a program.

The cleanup tools are still there on 8.1, just not as easy to find. Try entering Cleanup in the search box, then after you've found it try Defragment, search will dig it out for you.

Here's a link to CCleaner which is a very useful tool to have.

I'd still run one of the disk analysers as 250Gb of " cookies and other junks " seems excessive. Mind you 250 Gig of programs seems a lot unless it's loaded with games, I'd triage them and have a good hard think as to how much of it i'd use again.