Microsoft Update KB890830

johnoo

This, said to be important, update keeps trying to install but fails each time.

I have the m/c set to automatically install updates, so why does it fail?

Note I have not installed Win 10 & have hidden the enabler KB3035583.

Update

I now find that this was installed on the 14th January, however it is now not on the list of installed updates.

Again this morning this update failed to install

Why/how cure problem?

Irene,

Thanks but having read both of the links they offer no help.

Have now gone into Control Panel/Updates & asked for KB890830 to be installed.

Get message again "Failed to Install"

Why oh why, it's installed on our Laptop but not on the tower

Hope so, I think it's a bit strange.

It gives error code 80004005

However, my other problem is that after M/Soft updates that require a "Restart" when I click on the restart button nothing happens, even after 1 hour I get the message that m/c is restarting.

The only way to clear this is to turn of the power, which is what I have just done, having carried out a "restart" to see if it solves the problem.

I have been told that this restart problem is connected to problems within 8.1, correct?

Also would the failure to install KB890880 be connected with the restart problem?

Johnoo - understand not got W10 and dont want it.

I haven't taken  it either stuck to W 7 SP 1 and no problems now with updates since installed GWX to ward off W10 and the sneaking in of forced bits of W10 under guise of for W7 marked important etc.

Maybe try installing this one as many I know have and it works fine - I do still have updates on advide me dont download etc and go through them just in case. http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Silly to think that a free item has to be forced upon us. Still think being cynical in these days of greed over ethics they are making profit somewhere - no business gives away an OS free unless a hidden return. Makes nonsense of being in the business otherwise.