Win 10 & IE 11

johnoo

I have IE11 working with Windows 10.

I imported all my favourites from IE11 to Edge and can assure you that it worked fine.

There is a favourites bar in Edge and you can create folders to store favourites under a folder heading.

My one problem with Edge favourites is that with IE11 all the folders appear first in the favourites list followed by individual favourites. In Edge they are mixed up and I have yet to work out the logic.

Edge still has a few rough edges - it is advanced work in progress. I find myself now using Chrome more often even though that is far from perfect.  Yet again, compatibility problems with some programmes.

I will give you an example - I am a member of a 2 motoring forums. Using Edge - if I open Forum 1 then copy a post and paste it into forum 2, the paragraphs appear in reverse order.

Each paragraph reads OK - But a 4 paragraph post appears in Forum 2 in the paragraph order 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st.  I could almost understand all text being in reverse order - but not the paragraph order being reversed yet each paragraph being correct as a stand-alone.

I no longer use IE11 very often - every Windows 10 update seems to tweak a few more niggles into IE11. The state of play with me at the moment is that IE11 is no longer fully compatible with some forums (or is it the other way round) and it occasionally re-loads when I click on links on some web sites.

I have enjoyed using Windows 10 - it is fast, stable and user friendly now it has a version of the Windows 7 menu as standard. However the new menu is a diluted version so I use Stardock Start 10 which costs 5 dollars to be able to enjoy Windows 10 with a Windows 7 interface.

Alan,

Thank you for a most constructive reply, it helps a great deal.

When you said you imported all of your favourites from IE11, did you have to export them firstly to a file on "C" drive & then import, or can it be done as a  direct from Edge?

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:10 PM, johnoo said:

Alan,

Thank you for a most constructive reply, it helps a great deal.

When you said you imported all of your favourites from IE11, did you have to export them firstly to a file on "C" drive & then import, or can it be done as a  direct from Edge?

Is it possible that this could be answered to set my mind at rest?

You open Edge - select favourites, then favourites settings and you are then given a choice of where to import them from. There is no need to export them to the C drive. I was offered Internet Explorer or Chrome - both being installed on my computer. I chose Internet Explorer which in my case was IE11 - carried over from when I was using Windows 8.1.

On my computers I have always moved my Documents, pictures, downloads, music videos and favourites etc folders to a D drive. Keeping the C drive for just Windows and all software. This makes it easy to back up all your data - including the IE favourites.

Microsoft no longer have a folder on the computer for Edge favourites - they are hidden in a file in an obscure place on the C drive. It used to be here :-

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

But since a recent Windows update mine have vanished again and I can't be arsed to go look for them. They are clearly hidden somewhere because they are working fine.

Hence I know of no way to back them up other than via the following ploy :-

I am duplicating all my Edge favourites back into IE11 to keep them safe.  Its a bit of a a faff having to copy a URL from Edge and pasting it into IE11 so I can open it and save it to my favourites though

As I said at the start of this thread - Edge is a slowly maturing work in progress and definitely not the finished article.

• Upvote 1