A speaker problem

Speaker(s) problem

Postby catgate » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:17 pm

I have just recently suffered a speaker problem. Suddenly they stopped speaking. I fished out another older pair I have and they too had stopped working.( One pair uses 240v and the other uses usb power.)
This suggested PC failure rather than Speaker failure and so I took myself off to CCL along with by mother board and processor, both being only about three months old. CCL tested them and proclaimed them fit and well. I then rebuilt things and, surprise surprise, nothing had changed. I still had no sound.

I ordered a new motherboard and CPU along with a new case from CCL and after the "dead days" over the bank holiday they arrived a few days ago. I used the existing Power Pack, RAM and HD and lo and behold no change. I swapped the power pack with another little used one I had "in stock" and lo and behold still no sound.
I have another standby working box of tricks (still on Ubuntu) and so I tried the speakers on that.....100% working order!!

Please can someone suggest what my next move should be?

3 hours ago, AlanHo said:

It sounds like an audio driver problem (which you won't hear with muted speakers)

I don't now the first thing about Ubuntu - so I'm probably wrong.

Do you mean NOW or KNOW?  :whistling:

Thank you all for your responses.

"Try running "Driver manager" see if it can find any updates. " resulted in

"No proprietary drivers are in use"

I know what I would do to a Bercow given half a chance!!!

I'm running out of ideas. How is the speaker connected. is it phono cable to socket in the case then case socket to MOBO via separate cable ?

If the speakers are OK, the MOBO is OK, Drivers seem OK then I'd have a look at the socket the speakers are plugged in to as the next possible point of failure, or perhaps the cable linking the socket to the MOBO.

I'd still be tempted to download a new Linux iso and boot from that to see if there is any output that way would tell you if it's hardware or software related pretty conclusively.

How is the speaker connected.?             Green Triax connector on bottom of MB  rear panel (when box is standing in the normal running mode) feeds output signal.  One set of speakers takes power from mains socket and other set takes power from USB port. The driver must be part of the overall system fed in from the System Installation CD.

Some MOBOs have additional audio connectors to enable additional headset/mic connections, is there anything available on yours ? Though if it is a software issue this may not help.

Have to admit I'm grasping a straws, the fact that the audio out plug is mounted direct to the MOBO and it doesn't work on two identical MOBOs, one of which tested out OK would appear to suggest a software fault, some form of corruption and pinpointing and correcting it is beyond my Linux knowledge, maybe you need to hit one of the Mint specific forums and get somebody to harness their inner geek on your behalf.