Overnight stuck in "Shutdown Mode"

johnoo

Switched off machine last night.

This morning switched on to find that message on screen saying "Shutting Down"

This was still there after 2 hours so did a forced shutdown by turning of power.

Switched back on & M/c started up as normal.

Am running Windows 10 & looking at the Settings it's version 1511, OS Build 10586.545

Any ideas on what has caused this?

Am reluctant to shut down again at moment in case same thing occurs.

I have had the same problem a couple of times - but only when Windows Update has stalled for some reason and it stops the computer from completing the shut-down process.

In my cases - when rebooting - I got a message that Update is completing - and all was then well

Another possibility is that Windows will not shut down unless all running apps and certain processes are closed.  Windows closes most running apps itself, for some apps it will give you a warning that apps are running and ask you to shut them down. I guess that if one of the apps or processes  is stubborn and does not shut down properly - Windows will wait for ever until it is closed.

I don't get nervous about such matters because I always have an up-to-date full computer back-up stored on an external hard drive to use if absolutely necessary. (But as mentioned in another thread - I am in the process of swapping over from Acronis to EaseUs TODO software which I have on tial.)

2 hours ago, AlanHo said:

I have had the same problem a couple of times - but only when Windows Update has stalled for some reason and it stops the computer from completing the shut-down process.

In my cases - when rebooting - I got a message that Update is completing - and all was then well

Another possibility is that Windows will not shut down unless all running apps and certain processes are closed.  Windows closes most running apps itself, for some apps it will give you a warning that apps are running and ask you to shut them down. I guess that if one of the apps or processes  is stubborn and does not shut down properly - Windows will wait for ever until it is closed.

I don't get nervous about such matters because I always have an up-to-date full computer back-up stored on an external hard drive to use if absolutely necessary. (But as mentioned in another thread - I am in the process of swapping over from Acronis to EaseUs TODO software which I have on tial.)

Alan/All, Many thanks, I think it may have been a Windows update causing the problem. I was on OS Build 10586.494, but today it's moved to 10586.545, this could have occurred overnight, but can't prove as I don't keep check of Build Status.

Just wondering now if I should have left M/c to continue rather than doing a forced shutdown, but how long do you have to wait?

I to have an ACRONIS Backup on a External Drive so could have got out of trouble.

Will shut M/c down at lunchtime & hope it comes to life again later!

1 hour ago, -pops- said:

It really is like I remarked the other day:

Back to the old days when the wise amongst us waited a month before installing Windows updates.

But you can't stop the "B" thing.

I've also stopped using "Edge" gone to Firefox, to many problems & fragility with "Edge"

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2016 at 3:38 PM, johnoo said:

But you can't stop the "B" thing.

I've also stopped using "Edge" gone to Firefox, to many problems & fragility with "Edge"

Edge is one of the worst things that M S have ever produced also Mail for Windows 10.  I don't know what they are playing at these days, trying to be too clever by half.