W10 on lap top

Lamb Chop

Hi we have this W10 on hubbie's lap top which he mainly uses to follow Arsenal - so once a week and today it seems somehow the battery was so low he couldnt get it to start.

Powered up and battery recharging for around 3 hours. Now he hasnt used it much lately, only once a week mostly these days, as not computer lover, and says often happens he powers up and the battery is low but not as low as today.

So how does this happen? I'm not up with W10 as still using W7 and wont change over as loath what I see of 10 and I do see a bit as he gives it to me to sort out so not a problem with updates of programs we added.

As seems updates of OS are done by MS and I wondered is this what is running the battery down? Modem is on 24/7.

Also lots of things cant do like cant not have a log in.  Only small item on list of reasons I dislike 10 main being loss of control - and options.

Haven't had a lap top before and all this business of battery charging continually, maybe it means its on its last legs ?

Hello Lamb Chop. 

I have a laptop which is now eleven year's old and I am still running on the same battery.

What I do is, when running it at home which is nearly always, keep it on mains electricity to keep the battery charged up. But once a Month take it off the mains and use the machine on battery and totally discharge it. Then, back on the mains again to recharge the machine. This, I have read, is necassary to maintain a healthy battery. 

As mentioned, I have been doing this for eleven years and it is still going strong.

I hope this has helped you a little. 

• Upvote 1

Yes thanks Boris. Will do just that.

Meanwhile, whilst I have your attention - ha ha.

I tried to take it back to W7 as have a spare disc and unused product number etc.

But M$ have taken down heaps of stuff. Used to be able to format a HD and put on another OS but cant find how to anylonger. Got to thinking I'm going nuts as years back was able to do just that. Format a Windows Computer and then put on new OS etc and it worked.

So being at end of tether - I just put the disc into the comuter and installed it on the lap top and it opened up with old Windows start so took so to speak, but then.........................

Went to black command type screen and flashing up in seconds lines of programming and caught bits here and there - but guts were - prphan files and ended up back with W10.

Do my comuter paid for and OS same. but cant do as wish is the message today from MS when it comes to 10. I mean we own the machine and the OS - so surely its a cheek to not be able to take off one not wanted and replace.

Seems lots of stuff gone on M$ determined to make us all end up on W10. Where they are controlling our computers seems like. Taken our options away. Like cant find a way to get rid of having to log in on hubbies lap top being 10.  We dont control patches. It is done sometime I presume when not being used. And thought that was running down the battery maybe.

Anyway glad its not the battery. 

I was hoping to change it over to W7 so can take it with me into hospital as going to have a hip replacement early next year .  

On 11/28/2016 at 0:25 AM, Lamb Chop said:

...I'm not up with W10 as still using W7 and wont change over as loath what I see of 10 ...

LoatyebthenOS asnwell, lamb. will stay with 7. As for the battery drain:  ; note that Windows 10 does strange things to a machine and sometimes cannot be reverted (especially if update incl:desna forced BIOS). Telemetry keeps the computer on regardless of power state.. call:ng out to who knows who constantly.

It is a well known fact that certain agencies can operate most any device even when turned off. Best to yank the battery (even that is getting less "not user accessable"... wonder why?

Excuse thenspelling am posting first time mobile. Will work on it.

:hi:

Yank the battery

What a con the free W10 was.   Not sure how to yank the battery - was wondering if had to replace it where it is even. Must have a good look but haven't seen obvious this is the battery slot!

But it is spooky to think someone is using our lap top when it is turned off. I did know they did the updates but seeing as he hardly uses it any more, then the battery drain is M$. 

Glad I resisted W10 and thanks to Ultimate Insider with GWX which I still have running on this one just in case. :brilliant:

W

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Windows 10 is obviously not the one which dries your battery. My suggestion is to check out which apps/software are taking more battery from your PC then, you can solve your problem easily. Moreover, Windows 10 is a battery friendly as per my experience.

For more battery performance, turn off automatic updates in Windows 10