A very sad reality

catgate

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

I am afraid I do not really go along with this idea Alan.

One day last week we went up to a place called Saltburn-by--the--Sea. In this small sea side town is a "Nursing Home" and in it is a friend of mine of long standing.

We both worked many years in the R&D Labs. of the same company. His movement to another lab. had left a vacancy , and I was recruited  to fill it. This was in the early 50s.

We were both "in digs" in the same house and got on like a house on fire. We were almost like brothers. I  tutored him in the art of driving and passing the test for a car licence.' He taught me the art of drinking beer in sensible quantities.

I was already married at this time and Brian was just coming out of a divorce shambles. In due course I got a house in the village and so did Brian, and in due course I got the job of "best man" at his wedding to a young woman who was, and still is, a very caring and loving wife.

After some years he left the company and went into the the wines and spirits trade. He followed this by having a pub of their own at Lythe near Whitby. Eventually he went back to being a rep. before retiring.

About seven years ago whilst undergoing open heart surgery he had a seizure (or something). “Thanks” to the patience and skill of the surgeons they got the heart ticking again, and after several weeks of worry, by all who knew of the situation, he finally came out of his “hibernation” and made noises, but was paralysed all down one side. He could hear and understand, but he could not reciprocate.

As the years have gone by a number of hand motions and finger motions have developed to mean things and, generally speaking, he is much better than he was, but only a man with the spirit and will of a chap like “my mate” could ever come through what he has suffered.

His wife travels by taxi every day from their house in Guisborough to Saltburn and back and scarcely leaves his side. (one can tell the Nursing Home is not NHS. Even visitors get cups of tea.)

P.S. A couple of days ago we got the news we did not want to hear, but were, never-the-less, pleased to hear.

There was a wonderful little happening on the day I was "best man".

We were sitting about waiting for time to pass, and for the brides brother in law to arrive with his car, to take the bride to the church. We were in the lounge at the brides home.

I said, "Where is Victor?" Granny, who was sitting at the back of the room said, " He's gone to pick up his car."  I replied "Oh. where is it?",  She said, "It's at the garage." 

I said "What's the problem?"  She said "He's been having trouble with his Crown Pin and William."

There somehow seemed to be nothing more to say about the matter!!!

9 hours ago, andsome said:

Not being a motor engineer I am completely in the dark.:hi:

He is a cockney and the reference to William refers to Bill

Hence he is having a problem paying the Bill for the crown pin.  In Brummie talk we would just say "iz skint".