Sticky Malt Loaves

Irene

I made these for the first time on Sunday - had the first taste last night.  Delicious!!  

Sticky malt loaves

image.png                       ...Source: HERE

Prep: 15 mins Cook: 50 mins

Easy

Makes 2, each cutTing into 10 slices

There's something very satisfying about a cup of tea with a slice of buttered malt loaf - this simple, good-for-you version makes two and improves on keeping

Share:

Please sign in or register to save recipes.

Ingredients

·         sunflower oil, for greasing

·         150ml hot black tea

·         175g malt extract, plus extra for glazing

·         85g dark muscovado sugar

·         300g mixed dried fruit

·         2 large eggs, beaten

·         250g plain flour

·         1 tsp baking powder

·         ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method

1.    Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line the base and ends of two greased 450g/1lb non-stick loaf tins with strips of baking parchment.

2.    Pour the hot tea into a mixing bowl with the malt, sugar and dried fruit. Stir well, then add the eggs.

3.    Tip in the flour, then quickly stir in the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and pour into the prepared tins. Bake for 50 mins until firm and well risen. While still warm, brush with a little more malt to glaze and leave to cool.

4.    Remove from the tins. If you can bear not to eat it straight away, it gets stickier after wrapping and keeping for 2-5 days. Serve sliced and buttered, if you like.

Tips

Freeze one of your loaves…

1.    Wrap with baking parchment and then foil.  They will freeze for up to 4 months.... To serve, thaw for 5hrs. at room temperature.

2.    You can buy jars of malt extract from the wellbeing section of the supermarket... or from the chemist.

I used to make something similar many years ago but it slipped from my repertoire. Thanks for your reminder and the recipe, Irene.

When I was a student, I shared a flat with the heir to the Harvo "fortune" and we had huge quantities of the product to eat following his visits home. Interesting times, those. His mother was a renowned artist and a personal friend of L S Lowry. I remember once we had two Lowry paintings at the flat hidden under a bed. I don't remember why they were there but, hey ho!

1 hour ago, andsome said:

Many thanks. I ask because there is a powdered version of malt extract. We used to sell both when we owned a home brew shop.

Careful you don't get the pre-hopped malt extract!