2-3 Basa fillets

2 red bell peppers (I use long pointed red peppers)... Your choice

60ml (1/4 cup) balsamic vinegar

2 fl. oz. (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil

Juice of 1 lemon

4 cloves of garlic

Dry white wine

Salt and pepper to taste

(Please note: the conversions into 'ml' and 'fl. oz. are my conversions from 'cups'. 

You might prefer to check them yourself.)

Place the red peppers on highest rack in oven and broil. Rotate until burned on all sides. Place in a plastic bag until cool. 

Mix vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.

Peel away the charred outer layer of red pepper.

Seed, cut into strips, and soak in vinaigrette for 15 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 450ºF / 230ºC / fan 210º degrees for 15 minutes.  (My conversions from 450 degrees.)
Layer the strips on the fillet, roll up and tie with thread.

image.png           image.png

Place rolled fillets in a shallow baking dish, in 1/2 inch of white wine.  

Bake on middle rack, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the fillets are opaque.

I much prefer haddock and cod to Basa which is an Asian river delta catfish, often reared in high density fish farms and fed on indescribable waste. In the wild they feed on plants - in a fish farm they have to eat what they are given.

Whenever I see the word 'fish' on a restaurant menu -  I insist on knowing what it is - more often than not it is Basa nowadays. Many UK fish and chip shops have been caught red handed selling it as cod or haddock to the unwary.

In fairness - the import of Basa is subject to hygiene regulations and is probably safe - but in the far east it was/is (tek yer pick) infamous for causing severe stomach upsets.  My wife, who is devoted to buying bargains, considers I am too fine mouthed but I have seen first hand some fish farming in China - albeit 25 years ago - and I was put off for life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basa_fish

I purchase Basa knowingly, not disguised as anything else.  It is excellent for this recipe.  I have made this many times - it is delicious  and have never had any problem whatsoever.  Perhaps 25 years ago would have been different.  :wink:

However, tomorrow evening we will be dining on the best locally sourced Haddock and cod.