Olive Oil Mash

Irene

Olive oil mash

·         1 kg / 2lb 2oz King Edward (or similar) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

·         pinch salt

·         75-110ml / 3-4fl.oz. extra virgin olive oil

·         salt and freshly ground black pepper

1.   Place the potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with water.  Add a pinch of salt, place on the heat and bring to the boil.

2.   Simmer for 10-15 minutes until tender.

3.   Drain well and return to the pan over a low heat for a few seconds to remove any excess moisture.

4.   Using a potato masher or ricer, mash well, adding the olive oil to slacken and flavour the potatoes.  Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. 

I've stopped boiling potatoes - I much prefer cooking whole in the microwave and then either scooping out the flesh or allowing to cool (until they can be handled) and peeling the skin away with the fingers.

Cooked this way, there is no problem with the potatoes disintegrating from the boiling or absorbing loads of water.

2 hours ago, AlanHo said:

You microwave spuds - cut them in half, scoop out the innards and just eat the skin then?...:211027431:

We eat the whole spud. The only time we use a microwave for spuds is for jacket spuds. It is a combination machine mandate can bake two spuds in twenty minutes. I always let the cook in combo mode for the allotted time,then do them for another five minutes at 250 degrees. They are perfect.