Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Just lately system restore fails, Any ideas from the experts please. Windows 10 and firefox.

Since the last but one Windows update mine does the same - it spends 5 minutes pretending to restore then tells me restore has failed.  Google has proved to be unhelpful on this occasion.

It's no great loss - if push comes to shove - Acronis works every time.

By the way - I answered your post even though I'm no expert. I hope you don't mind. :whistling:

20 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

Since the last but one Windows update mine does the same - it spends 5 minutes pretending to restore then tells me restore has failed.  Google has proved to be unhelpful on this occasion.

It's no great loss - if push comes to shove - Acronis works every time.

By the way - I answered your post even though I'm no expert. I hope you don't mind. :whistling:

I’ll let you off just this once. :hi:

1. Silly question, but have you checked to make sure that System Restore is actually turned on ? - the half yearly (Fall/Creators etc.) updates seem to turn it off by default.

2. Have you run a Disk Cleanup (including System Files) recently ?  This may take an hour (plus) getting rid of your old Windows versions.

Mine is turned on - it was the first thing I did after reading about the problem and solution on the web. I also did an error check of the C: drive. I don't have an old version of Windows 10 lurking on the drive - it was a clean install on a brand new SSD.

I can force a restore point - but it does not do it automatically.

However - as I mentioned I'm not bothered about it - on the rare occasion I have a hiccup I use Acronis to restore the C drive. (I take a back-up of my C and D drives every Saturday onto two external USB drives - one of which I store in the garage remote from the house).  My D drive - also an SSD which stores all my data, music, pics etc is backed up every time I close down the computer using Second Copy

1 hour ago, Boris said:

1. Silly question, but have you checked to make sure that System Restore is actually turned on ? - the half yearly (Fall/Creators etc.) updates seem to turn it off by default.

2. Have you run a Disk Cleanup (including System Files) recently ?  This may take an hour (plus) getting rid of your old Windows versions.

I always check first,  I must admit that I haven’t run a disk clean up. My Windows 10 is the only system that has ever been installed, when it was built for me by a local company.

Every time you do one of the big half yearly updates it leaves the old Windows behind.  Similarly the regular Cumulative Updates leave "debris".

1 hour ago, AlanHo said:

I can force a restore point - but it does not do it automatically.

It should do it automatically - see my attached example

Capture.JPG

I have that on my screen but how do I make it run?

Highlight the Restore points you wish to remove and click "remove". It takes a minute or so to complete if you have a lot to remove.

I suggest that you keep two or three later points - just in case!

8 minutes ago, -pops- said:

Highlight the Restore points you wish to remove and click "remove". It takes a minute or so to complete if you have a lot to remove.

I suggest that you keep two or three later points - just in case!

I have removed the restore points as suggested , but cannot see how to make the remaining one run. If I click on it all i am offered is REMOVE

12 minutes ago, andsome said:

I have that on my screen but how do I make it run?

That was just an example to show that Win 10 does produce auto System Restore points.

As -pops- says if you do have loads showing , you can click on some of the older ones to remove them, but this won't of course apply to you if your System Restore hasn't been working.

3 minutes ago, andsome said:

I have removed the restore points as suggested , but cannot see how to make the remaining one run. If I click on it all i am offered is REMOVE

You cannot remove the last one - look carefully and you will see it is greyed-out.

I have one that I made this morning. My intention was to run it and see what happens. This is the one that I have left, and cannot see how to run from C Cleaner. When I click on it all I am offered is Remove, I cannot make it work in C Cleaner. I have yet to try it in the normal way. The one I tried to run yesterday in the normal way, seemed to run, but then told me it had failed to restore.

You cannot run a System Restore from within CCleaner - it only removes selected System restore points.

You need to run System Restore in the normal fashion.

11 minutes ago, Boris said:

You cannot run a System Restore from within CCleaner - it only removes selected System restore points.

You need to run System Restore in the normal fashion.

That was the problem yesterday. It ran but failed. I will try my latest restore point made this morning later.

Found the problem. I ran my new restore point and even that failed. The message also said that an anti virus program my be affecting it . I disabled my Anti Virus, and restore worked perfectly. I re-enabled the Anti Virus and restore failed again. They must be busy with people not getting to work, because the girl who answered the phone said that she would ask a colleague to call me. So I am just waiting.

I just received the call back. He said that most Anti Virus programs are likely to stop files loading, and that it is best to disable the program. He also said that to ensure that Windows updated without a problem after update downloads, to disable it when Windows says to install the downloaded updates. So now I know. Many thanks to all who tried to help. This tells me that it is best to have an Anti Virus program that has UK telephone support. I will NEVER change from Eset.

37 minutes ago, andsome said:

This tells me that it is best to have an Anti Virus program that has UK telephone support. I will NEVER change from Eset.

Hopefully they'll still be here after Brexit :whistling:

Did you know that ESET (the Ancient Egyptian Goddess Isis, also known as Aset or Eset) is the goddess of health, marriage and love (a perfect match for the "gorgeous one")

32 minutes ago, Boris said:

Hopefully they'll still be here after Brexit :whistling:

Did you know that ESET (the Ancient Egyptian Goddess Isis, also known as Aset or Eset) is the goddess of health, marriage and love (a perfect match for the "gorgeous one")

I really am gorgeous aren’t I

I switched to Linux (about three years ago I think).

By gum Its  reyt gradely.

It very seldom needs "up dates" and when it does it does it itself on the push of a button.