The joy of being a Yorkshire man

catgate

We arrived back about an hour ago (2.00 p.m.) after taking our first trip for the year.into the dales.

Nothing really exotic. It was  just a gentle ride from The Vale of York (wherein lies our abode) to Pately Bridge (where in lie one or two very commendable eateries.

We went really to see if the Curlews had returned, because they seem to be  able to read the weather better than all the Met. Office personnel rolled into one.

We never heard one let alone saw one.  The view from the top of Greenhow hill was, as usual, quite stunning.

Still it was a nice ride out and everything seemed to be behaving itself, so we decided we would go again before to long.

2 hours ago, AlanHo said:

You are so fortunate to have such lovely scenery on the doorstep. It is all too easy to take it for granted and its so nice to see you are still in awe of it.

Yes I know you are right , Alan.

We had more or less decided that when I retired we would move over to the Isle of Man, we had a few friends over there. However the company where I earned my daily crust,( which was a well known American outfit) suddenly got a new U.K. M.D, Sometime after he had bedded down he started changing things and one of them was the retiring age of senior managers. There were quite a few ....and I was one of them. There was a rehashing of the retirement pension to make up for the consequential financial loss and four of us from our plant were suddenly blessed with more money, and with luck, a bit longer life.

One day round about this time I started getting  visits from a rep. who over the years became a chum, We were both British motor cycle fans and we would occasionally meet socially on our bikes, with wives, and have a tour round the Lancs/Yorks country side. He rang me one day. "How would you like a cheap BMW 750?"  I said something like , "Who would not jump at it ?  How much is "cheap"?

It turned out that his daughter's next door neighbour was moving house, and he had a BMW 750 with screen, panniers etc at the rear of his house, under a cover, and he wanted to get rid of it. I asked how much he wanted for it. "Oh it will be very cheap" said John, So I said, " Well you know as well as I do what both "cheap"  and "dear" are with these things. I will leave it to you to talk to him about its price and  if it is a reasonable price I will have it.    I BECAME THE OWNER OF A BMW 750.

A new world had opened up in our motor cycling?