Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I never mastered photo shop, and am in need of a simple photo editing program if anyone can help. I have Zoner photo studio, and get on well with that. My problem is cropping. Zoner will crop by drawing a line round and and saving. It will not as far as I can see allow a specific size to be chosen I particularly need to be able to select 6 X 4 inches, and 7X5 inches, to suit photo frames. Any ideas please? I am happy to pay a small price, but would prefer a short trial period if possible.

Many thanks, I will have a look. My computer is switched off at the moment

I  can agree with pops about  "gimp". I went on to it when I switched every thing to  Linux Mint two or three years or so ago..

I am not going to write a dissertation on Mint , but I will just say that  both management and I spend several hours a day (every day) on this machine and the only time a fault crops up it is "human error" (and I am "right good" at that!! )

The reason for taking to "Mint" was because that had seemed to collect top marks for all aspects, so I tried it on another box for a week or two and then switched boxes.

I tried one or two OP. Systems and found Mint was just to my liking (and managements too)

Many thanks, but I am befuddled, I cannot see how to crop to a specific size, it just ignores me.

Keith

It's a no brainer. Download and install Irfanview 64.  There are versions for other Windows systems. (Dunno whether they have a version for Mint Geoff)

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm

It's free, comprehensive and easy - you will soon be printing pictures any size you wish and can choose inches - for old fogies or cms for us young switched-on guys. You make all the selections after pressing Print.

Note that this does not crop pictures - it reduces them to the desired print size and will only cut off any part of the picture that exceeds the original aspect ratio.

1 minute ago, AlanHo said:

Keith

It's a no brainer. Download and install Irfanview 64.  There are versions for other Windows systems. (Dunno whether they have a version for Mint Geoff)

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm

It's free, comprehensive and easy - you will soon be printing pictures any size you wish and can choose inches - for old fogies or cms for us young switched-on guys. You make all the selections after pressing Print.

Note that this does not crop pictures - it reduces them to the desired print size and will only cut off any part of the picture that exceeds the original aspect ratio.

Funny enough I downloaded it just before closing the computer for the night.

Keith

I just tried using IrfanView to reduce a picture size - I have not used it for that before - if I print pictures I do it full size to fit the paper

There is a snag - it does not cut any excess off the picture - if for example you were to print an original measuring 8 x6 to say 7 x 3 - instead of cropping a chunk off the top and bottom - it compresses it vertically to fit within the 3" height. Thus the picture is significantly stretched horizontally. There is a retain aspect ratio button in the print menu - but this seems to do nowt - the picture is still stretched.

If your camera pics are a similar aspect ratio to the size you are printing - it will not be noticeable.

THis is of no help to you - but I use Paint Shop Pro for my picture editing. With that programme I can chose to crop a picture to a standard size like 7 x 5 and 6 x 4 etc and it cuts off the top or bottom or the sides as necessary to fill the maximum dimension. For example if a camera is set at a size ratio of 8"H x 6"W and you wanted to print it at 8 x 3   - the top and bottom would have to be cropped by a total of 3". Either 1.5" equally or perhaps 2" off the top and 1" of the bottom etc to keep the picture undistorted.

You can manually crop any pictures in IrfanView by clicking on them and drawing the rectangle you want, then Edit Crop selection, and File Save As "whatever".jpg

There is also Image/ Resize/resample then Set new size - Width / Height or use the range of Pre-set sizes (pixels, cm, inches)

Sorted now thanks. I have always used Zoner photo for editing and cropping, but have never been able to find a way of saving a specific size. Today I tried cropping to as near as possible to the required size by guesswork. I then opened Pics Print and selected a photo, and told it to crop automatically to the selected size, then selected 7x5 inches and it printed a treat. You need to crop manually as near as possible by guesswork to the correct size leaving a little extra to allow for errors.