A Stressful Run-Up to Christmas

AlanHo

I am relieved Christmas is over – the two months prior to it were rather stressful.

For some reason not understandable to a mere man – Radley handbags and Skagen watches have a cult following with the ladies. I’m not sure how many Radley bags Libby (my wife) has amassed, but a guess of 10 would probably not be far adrift. I admit to being responsible for buying some of them as gifts for her.

This year I was faced with the usual dilemma – what gift do you give a wife who you feel already  has everything she needs. h5MrA9X.gif

Three months before Christmas I vaguely recalled at a dinner party the 3 ladies talking about designer stuff (which was an intrusion into the conversation us blokes were trying to have about football). They were chatting about jewellery and in particular watches and the name Skagen dropped into the conversation. I had never heard of them.

The following day Mr Google told me that they were designer watches made in America using Swiss components based upon a simple but distinctive Danish design that had developed a great reputation and following since 2015.

So I bought her one and secreted it in my study ready for Christmas.

PAyHteS.jpg

Early in November I was horrified when she told me she had bid on Ebay for a lovely Skagen watch and she showed me the advert. It was exactly the same model I had already purchased. This set my nerves jangling and they remained so for several days 8azoADF.gif , until she told me she had been outbid at the very last second in the auction. Phew

The peace didn’t last for long before she was bidding for another one – a different model but still Skagen. 08r1myn.gif Hence another nervous period for me until she gave up on that auction – the bids were higher than she wanted to pay. It was more than £100 less than I had paid for the watch – hence I thought it a bargain.

All was quiet for a few weeks until, 10 days before Christmas, another watch was advertised on Ebay and she started bidding for it. I was now in a muck sweat zfhpeqT.gif and toyed with the idea of getting one of my friends to outbid her and then sell on the watch after Christmas - presumably at a loss. As it happened – it wasn’t necessary – the bidding was too high for her within a couple of days and she lost interest.

I was now safe – it was too late for her to bid for another one before Christmas. jQgmHue.gif

So Christmas day turned out to be very successful FNOr8mc.gif

I now have a lot of house points in the bank.

Went through similar some years ago when Dad was still with us, he and Mum were looking in a jewellery shop and she chose a white gold pendant for her Christmas gift, I just gritted my teeth and looked the other way as it looked rather similar to the one I'd already bought for her and had hidden back at home. Fortunately there were sufficient discrepancies and she didn't mind getting two.