Use of email

Sir Radfordin

If the average user sends 20 messages a day (which apparently is the case) then a saving of only 30 seconds a message would result in an average saving of 50 minutes in the working week – or 43 hours over a year. Even if you drop it down to 10 messages with a saving of 10 seconds it is about 7 hours a year...at £15ph with 300 employees that is a cost of £32,500 (well it is on my maths anyway!)

Just think if you droped the

Dear XXXX or Hi how are you

and the

lots of love from the boss, his cat and the next door neighbour

from all your emails how much more efficient the process would be.

But then you would be falling into the trap of de-personalising yourself and your colleagues just because it was email.

I have a signature already set up for work email so I don't have to finish it off with anything, but I think it is just good manners to acknowledge the person you are writing to. I would if I was sending a clerical letter or memo!!!

Anyway... I'd better get back to work!! :P

How is the 20 messages a day arrived at?

If it's the number of emails delivered divided by the number of computers on the internet then that figure must include all the spam that is going around.

Like nellie, I've a ready built signature and disclaimer + a salutation. I then only have to insert the message in the middle.

Just think how long a similar number of snail mail letters would take to write, correct and send. :)

That 20 messages a day is the average for a business user sending out emails (both business and non-business). It says nothing about the time it takes to process incoming emails (which on average is 49 minutes a day).

I agree that letters would take much longer to write, as perhaps would a telephone call. This finding was part of much wider reasearch looking into how effective/efficient email is for communication and if it is in danager of loosing the effectivness.

It may be good manners to acknowledge the person you are writing to but does it actually have any value for the organisation? I'm inclined to think it isn't needed on internal emails.

As for signatures and templates, these are no doubt a suitable solution but few non-IT people know how to properly use them, or at least how to use them well.

As with lots of things, user education could bring about huge cost savings.

Anyway, I'm a student, its time for Neighbours and that means lunchtime...or is it the other way round?

As for signatures and templates, these are no doubt a suitable solution but few non-IT people know how to properly use them, or at least how to use them well.

As with lots of things, user education could bring about huge cost savings.

Oh Sir Rad.... you have hit the nail on the head there. I work for a large organisation and although we have had IT for various things over the last 10 years it is only in the last two years that the powers that be have supplied us with email and internet and intranet and office applications. Great you may think. But we have been given these tools and you would be surprised how few people know how to use them. My job is to train staff on various subjects and I find myself going over the basics sometimes or showing staff how to use the intranet because they just don't have a clue. There is what we call on line learning but staff find it difficult and not very user friendly.

Staff are expected to use all the technology available but they are not taught how.. I could go on about this for ever and if you want to discuss this further I would be only too happy.

If theres one thing that pains me its email on the Intra-net in an office. Bare with me Nel, I have rigged up Intra-nets in Offices that have had a great atmos, come back 6 moths latter for a service and the users are just sat at the machine hitting FWD and reply and send. No atmos!

Now I love computers and I mean love infact I'd take on to the alter if it were aloud but little offices should not use Intranet...

Stands back and waits for Nels wrath....

nellie2 - if you have the time to spare it may be helpful for me to discuss somethings with you. Think this will be better done 'off forum' initially though once my research is complete it will no doubt be made available to any poor soul who wants to read it!

spikeychris - interesting you mention Intranets. My view is they aren't used properly. All User Emails are the biggest waste of time (so offten full of content that isn't needed and cause needless interuptions). I'm going to suggest they are banned and anything that would have been sent in an all-user email be posted on the Intranet (my experience is most of the essential stuff was anyway!). When that happens users can choose when they look at information rather than be forced to take receipt of it.

There are numerous people I wouldn't stay in touch with if it weren't for email. I feel I have to have a lot to say to phone someone or some specific, important reason for calling, plus phonecalls are costly. I don't come across them in a canteen but, using email, we keep in touch a few times a year and that pleases us. On rare occasions we even arrange to meet up.

Without email, I'd just lose touch with them altogether. It may not be as personal as face to face or on the phone but it is all we need and we stay friends, if not very close ones.

We keep it slightly personal by always starting with 'hi' and asking how the person is, it would be sad to lose that little touch for the sake of saving a few seconds per mail.

C