Upgrading to XP

nellie2

I'm sure plenty of people have upgraded to XP with no problem at all :rolleyes:

I agree, but it does seem that MOST of the problems have occurred with people who have upgraded, rather than with new computers with XP on from new.

The problems I had with upgrading to start with was that my motherboard didn't particularly like XP. If you are upgrading it is important to have compatable software and hardware.

So having XP on a completely new PC will guarrantee compatable hardware... if like me you have been tinkering with PC's for a number of years then you will have software that just won't work on XP and probably a lot of bits and peices in the cupboard that aren't compatable. But I still have my W98 license and my W2K license so if I wanted to use my old bits and run old software then I could put together a pc from what I have... well, I need a hard drive but that is all I'm missing right now.

The problems I had with upgrading to start with was that my motherboard didn't particularly like XP.  If you are upgrading it is important to have compatable software and hardware.

So having XP on a completely new PC will guarrantee compatable hardware... if like me you have been tinkering with PC's for a number of years then you will have software that just won't work on XP and probably a lot of bits and peices in the cupboard that aren't compatable.  But I still have my W98 license and my W2K license so if I wanted to use my old bits and run old software then I could put together a pc from what I have... well, I need a hard drive but that is all I'm missing right now.

You have just agreed with what I said Nell. Basically if you don't tinker about with building or swapping bits and pieces, you take a chance with an upgrade.

When I did my re-install of XP recently, which had been installed over 98, I changed the bios setting to boot from the CD first. The PC re-booted from the CD. I then reformatted and converted from FAT to NTFS and finished up Installing XP. I presumed this finished up being an installation from scratch. Don't know if this helps anyone. If it does I will be pleased. If it doesn't I will be dischuffed.

Actually I think andsome was on about putting XP on an older machine which had been running a different o/s instead of a purpose built one.

You can have problems with incompatable hardware and software and unobtainable drivers as I think we have all found out........... but it is fun all the same!!!! :D

Actually I think andsome was on about putting XP on an older machine which had been running a different o/s instead of a purpose built one.

You can have problems with incompatable hardware and software and unobtainable drivers as I think we have all found out........... but it is fun all the same!!!!  :D

TRUE

I was a beta tester on XP prior to launch. The beta version disk downloaded with no problems whatever and I used it quite happily alongside WME for the six months it was valid for. After that time and at the launch of XP on to the open market, I bought a copy of XP Pro. Would it load? Would it - - - - *!

Even a clean reinstall on to a new hard drive failed and after much investigation I concluded that the system I had at the time just wasn't up to it - even though the test version was perfectly happy.

It wasn't too much of a problem as, being a long time assembler of computers, I built a machine that I knew would accept XP. It did and, as far as I know, it is still going strong being the machine my granddaughters use.